Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #51 FTY Tough Getting Out!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Time sure flies when you're working and doing all kinds of home stuff. Have only gotten out twice since the beginning of the month. And mostly found a few wheats and trash. Got out real late today, around 5 pm, and hit a section of woods I've had good luck in. This area was one I've never done because it's real overgrown and you mostly have to follow the deer trails and look for open spots here and there and search those areas and they are real spotty. Looking for trash sounds and numbers I might add, and running the SE Pro real hot because you can't really touch the ground about 50% of the time. In two of those areas I came upon a Boy Scout neckerchief holder (#4 FTY) and a ways away the St. Christopher Medal. Up to that point it was already around 6:15 PM and although the weather was overcast when I went in, the sun had come out and was lighting up the woods pretty good with that orange Fall shine and lots of shadows. I had my thrower flashlight with me so I decided to take my time back to the RAV and do another section of the same type of brush but nearer a long beaver infested bog. About 6:40 pm I hit upon a signal that I first thought was a ball of foil or maybe a can top, but deep. When you run hot like I've been in the woods, even a silver coin can sound like a can top! It was fairly loud though and after I pruned a few brush was getting a good high tone and an occasional 3-29, 1-29. The area near the bog is very iron and mineral infested as it's on a much lower strata than the remainder of the woods, so you just have to check any repeatable high tone regardless of the numbers. Well about 4 inches down under a 1 inch root, up pops a 1920 Merc. Now this was a real surprise because I've always gone through that area but stayed away from the overgrown edges because during the warmer months they are a real bear to detect. It wasn't any picnic today either but it made me realize that somebody was out there years ago, maybe when it was a treed area. It's a good 200 feet from any modern walking paths and a good 50 feet in from where I had hunted the edge. I'll go back in the Winter months again when some of the leaves at least have died off.

I made it back to the RAV safe and sound with it being 7:15 PM and darkness really closing in, the last bit of dusk lighting up a few silver clouds! (And the phone going off from the Mrs., worried no doubt that I'd been attacked by a mad Beaver or Buck in rutt! Chuckle )

GL & HH out there!

Ed/ODF
I'm nominating you for the "hard earned treasure" award Ed! First you hit the spots nobody else will tackle, then you have to battle the beavers and bucks. You deserve more than a dime, and I'm sure you'll find more good stuff soon. I've been away for 5 days now dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Michael. We got hit real hard here in Virginia. Just got our electricity back 2 hours ago. Thank goodness for generators. I'll post a pic or two in "the break room" later.
(10-15-2018 07:24 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]I'm nominating you for the "hard earned treasure" award Ed! First you hit the spots nobody else will tackle, then you have to battle the beavers and bucks. You deserve more than a dime, and I'm sure you'll find more good stuff soon. I've been away for 5 days now dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Michael. We got hit real hard here in Virginia. Just got our electricity back 2 hours ago. Thank goodness for generators. I'll post a pic or two in "the break room" later.

Thanks Shade and OH Man, I didn't think it would be that bad for the Virginia folk. I know when Sandy hit us here in Ohio it was a nightmare for a week so I feel for you. No power and cold weather is not a great situation. We had Debs brother and wife stay with us because there power wasn't restored for over two weeks. We only lost it at our place for a little over 24 hours because most of our electric is underground. But the trees here were slammed good. All kinds of roads were closed and you had to detour everywhere until they cleared the trees and the wires. Hope everything is okay with the property and that you make it through well.

Ed
Congratulations Ed. WTG!

I remember Sandy - no power fore eight days and lost the backyard fence.

Sorry to hear you had an issue like that Shade, but glad you are ok.
Reference URL's