Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #55 & 56! Wheat spill included! 42 Nickel!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I drive the parkway and I say to myself, "Nah, can't be anything there. I've been all through it.", and then mosey along until I feel either tired or bored and say, "What the hell. Let's hit it again here.". And that pretty much describes my hunting method! Chuckle But seriously, I kind of give up on areas that don't produce silver, although I may not be using a large enough coil! Anyway, when I first detected this spot years ago I was amazed at the number of wheats I'd found there. But after several trips no silver coins emerged and I gave it up for a while. About 2 years ago, being bored and thinking of a place to go I decided to hit this area once again. But that time around I was beginning to understand the machine a lot better and was, I guess I'd say, more mature about how to hunt and the settings to use. Well that seemed to be the trick because silvers started to pop up along with wheats and buffs. Last time I was to this area this past late Spring I hit a Merc in sapling roots and hard dry clay as I posted to Treasure Classified Forum.

Today though I stayed away from the open spots and ventured into the tall grass areas which are starting to die off and matt down some. About 25 minutes into this area I came upon a strong 4-27, 3-27 that was real loud and tight despite me having the machine at 28 sense and 10 Gain. I suspected that it may be a penny but at around 3" out pops a 1940 P Merc. I start wondering about why 3-27, 4-27 with a 3" deep Merc. I turn down the sense to 24 and go over about a 4 SF area. My God, there's signals all over. This with the 6x8 SEF coil. I proceed to dig 9 pretty toasted wheats, all of which were between 6 to 8" down and one 1942 Jeff. But there's still another signal! Turn the sense back up to 28 and target something that ain't reading normal on the VID but the tone is on occasion to die for. Up pops another toasted wheat. Stick the Pro Pointer back in the hole and there's something alongside about 9" down. Up pops a 1920 D Merc that's worn but still a silver!

This whole episode took me about 40 minutes to sweep, dig, probe, find. I spent another half hour making an attempt at other areas with no luck except for a ring from a pull tab that sounded like gold. I decided to call it quits and not jinx my luck. WInter is coming and the grass will be matted down real good after the snows we get around here!

GL & HH out there!

Ed/ODF
Great job, congratulations!
You keep on amazing me with these recoveries from the hinterlands and at 8-9 inches you're doing some deep drilling. Nice work again! I've noticed over the years that your soil is not kind to the wheats. Also you have been fortunate to dig some mercs in really good shape this year.
(10-25-2018 11:31 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]You keep on amazing me with these recoveries from the hinterlands and at 8-9 inches you're doing some deep drilling. Nice work again! I've noticed over the years that your soil is not kind to the wheats. Also you have been fortunate to dig some mercs in really good shape this year.

Thanks Shade! Yes the wheats and any old coppers really get hammered by the soil conditions. I am thinking that it may have been the steel industry in these parts and to the West and North of us, for so many years, over a century. I've even dug memorials that were a little more than copper slugs. As far as the silvers are concerned, I've had a few that were in really good condition but some that were affected by the soil as well. The 6x8 coil has the ability to go to those depths but you have to run it real hot. So hot that you have to watch what kind of shoes you're wearing so you don't false it. The numbers don't matter in a case like this hunt, to an extent, because with the SE Pro you can shut off the Iron Mask and check and it'll tell you it's iron pretty quick. When I see no iron or mineralization, and hear a good tone but the numbers don't cut it, I'll dig it anyway. I've learned that passing up that scenario can be a loss of a silver. Have a great weekend and hope you've recovered from Michael!

Ed
Heck yeah......nice finds
Reference URL's