Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Hit an old coin today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was able to get out and my usual spot was over run with geese and depositors playing games and running around the fields.
Probably a bad time of day for metal detecting.
I had to go to a back up and was making finds, nothing real cool. It was getting dark and on my way out I hit a large cent.
I had been over this area probably one hundred times before but for whatever reason I heard a good tone and a not so good on the 90 degree pass. But I went down and got a cool surprise. No date but the range is 1814 to 1857 according to the red book.
No brag just happy

Tony
NICE FIND BIG T! Just goes to show that no place is ever hunted out! And that's a water key. An old one! I used to lose the modern 4 armed ones all the time but never dug an old one. BIG congrats! YesYes on the LC!

Ed
Thanks Ed.
Water key is good information. I wasn't sure what it was.
Crazy how this hobby gives up the past when you least expect it.
Tony
It's good to see you posting hunt results again Tony, and what a way to do it! That LC is a great find. Sorry about the no-date condition but those coins are famous for that. There are a few techniques on various detecting sites for coaxing out any remaining faint traces of a date; might be worth a try as a means of satisfying personal curiosity.
Thanks Shade.
I haven't posted many of my finds - mostly common stuff and small jewelry items - nothing real cool.

This one was a cool target that folks would enjoy seeing - so I posted it up, no brag at all.

The date is elusive right now but that is ok with me. I was surprised and happy that it has good detail.
Reference URL's