Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #58 & 59 FTY - BIG SILVER!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hit a wooded area today where I've NEVER gotten any silver! Buffs, wheats, clad and dog tags and trash was about it. Today though I went back to an area I've really never done very well. Hit 2 clad quarters right off the bat! (AT Pro with Tornado coil) About ten minutes later I get a real quiet high tone that's reading 86, 88, and on cross reference I'm getting 91, 93, 88 but it's still a pretty soft but clear tone. Now I'm thinking this isn't scratchy at all tone wise but so are real deep cans. But on trying to target it from two positions it's real tight and although the AT Pro won't show digital on targeting, a spot has a real good potential for a nice big plug and this may be a deep silver quarter. I dig it, pop it and in the bottom of the plug is the rim of what looks like a half dollar! I'll be damned if it ain't just that! A 1919 D which is a pretty rare coin, as I later found out. I'm elated! My first Walking Liberty FTY! So I figure I better start doing the trails as it's getting dark and I have to head back to the RAV. About a half hour on my trek back, I get a blaster 83, 84 right on the side of the trail. Had to turn my sense down 3 notches to even target it. Dig this atrocious plug because the ground is so compacted from foot traffic and start poking around with the TRX in what remains of a hole when I spot this glint of silver in the tailings! 1946 P Rosie! Thing must've only been down an inch or so. At this point it's almost dark and I have a list on my text from the wife so I shut er' off and head for the RAV.

Pretty surprised when I get home and settled in that the 1919 D is a pretty rare version and after consulting several coin sites can pretty assuredly call it between Fine and Extra Fine with a value range between $80 and $400. Of course I'd have to get it cleaned, graded and slabbed by one of the Numismatic companies but for now it goes in the jar with a 2x2 poly envelope and a note to future finders.

Hope all is well for all and GL & HH!

Ed
Sweet big silver, congrats ODF!
Way to go on the big shiny Ed! That is a real nice, well deserved reward for the all the hard work you do. I'm happy your wanderings took you over that one!
Oh wow, that is very cool find, congratulations!
Thanks fellas! Helping the wife cook up a storm for T Day! Don't think I'll get out again until Friday and the weather looks to cooperate with that thought.

Ed
Reference URL's