Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Interesting Talk for PA Detectorists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Found this online and thought it would start some feedback.
http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/n...62b15.html

Haven't seen this around my area.
Getting an error message. Sometimes that happens to me when I put a link up. Make sure you use the little link button next to the envelope on the control panel above. Look forward to reading something, so, hope you get it up, as this weather crap has got me steamed, Ohio.

Joe
Working now Happy

Joe
Hmmm, that's a great idea, Ohio Happy

If one can put together an interesting 20 to 30 minute presentation of their local history, finds they've made, etc., they can then give talks like this at libraries, VFW halls, etc. You can present free of charge, however, think of all the new invitations you'll get from interested folks who'd like to see what's on THEIR property Happy

And even if you don't get any hunting leads, what could be better than talking about detecting & showing off your finds for a half hour to a captive audience. Heck, I'd pay to do that, lol. Also...

You're putting a human face to our pursuit. People will see we're just hobbyists with a love of history. Harmless adventurers. Not some scary looking guy swinging an intimidating Geiger counter around in a park.

Works on many levels Yes

Joe
Joe,

My mind is being a little dulled by this hibernation crap (and the wine last night) and I didn't think about that. It would seem you'd have to have more than a few years in to pull off a really good presentation. That idea of being invited to a new place to hunt would definitely be a ringer in my book.
Look, some people might say; "Why give a talk on detecting, that's stupid. You're also getting more people (competition) into the hobby". However...

I'm not so sure that rationale works very well. Why? First...

Let's face it, we're under the gun a lot. The unwanted attention from these dumb MD'ing shows, the false assumptions of a paranoid public, the Gestapo-like tactics of beuracrats who despise detectorists, etc. So...

IMO, having these friendly talks helps educate folks on who we are & what we do. Second...

It would establish you as an instant expert in your niche. You start being known around town as 'that metal detecting guy', and the word spreads. You might get calls from the local police department to help detect a crime scene, you'll start receiving calls to find valuables people lost, etc. A terrific source of never-ending leads Happy

And one wouldn't necessarily need to be the best speaker, or have a long presentation, or mind blowing finds, either. Heck, we're talking about having these presentations in libraries & similar locales. Simply hit Wikipedia up and come up with a bullet point on the history of an area. Then, open your talk with that. Next, explain you're a detectorist, what that is & why you do it. You might then segue into some of the 'fascinating historical finds & artifacts' you've found in your travels (hey, isn't a barber dime historical?! Lol). You can pass the finds around for all to see, then, towards the end, you can have a nice Q & A session. Also...

Make sure to pass around, or have a clipboard available, where the guests can 
sign-up to get follow-up information on how to get started in metal detecting, what detector to buy, additional history on their town, yadda, yadda, yadda. This list would be a treasure trove. The metal detecting expert (you), helping people out & entertaining them. Ya think you'd be given permission to hunt their properties if you emailed them? Wink Finally...

Again, any chance to help educate the public on what it is we do, and to take that negative stigma away, is a good thing. And having some fun & BS'ing about detecting ain't all that bad, either Yes

Joe
Wow, you must be in marketing Joe. Lol. All very good points. And I'll print it out as a reference. When in a new suburb, I make a practice of stopping by the police department and dropping off a business card. Half of those contacts refer me to the service department where during the week I call the service director, if I can get past his secretary, and set up an appointment to see him and introduce myself. I've found out a bit about where you can and where you can't detect as far as parks and recreation areas. I make that a practice with the maintenance departments of the schools as well. Although most of them don't really know and have to get back to me.

I used to give talks on safety and fall equipment when I was in the trade way back when so I'm accustomed to giving an organized speech. Sounds like you are too.
It's a great idea for easing the public's mind as you say. There was that program on I think A&E that had that ex wrestler knocking on doors. And at times he was pulling a backhoe on a trailer. Sheesh..... what a way to ruin your rep. And those two on National Geographic. Man. Sure I get excited if I find a keeper, but I don't hang from a tree or do cartwheels. LOL.

And if I ever find a barber dime, you'll be the first to know.
Joe, all very good points.  it is also a good way to drum up some business for detector ( and accessories) sales.
Very interesting ...
I am a member of one of those outdoorsy meetup groups.
after hearing what you wrote, i may try and set up a detector workshop meetup.
the meet up groups get local people together to share a common interest or activity
even if we do not detect an actual site. we can share stories or interests, as well as show off finds .. it may lead to detecting leads and locations as well as bring many other detectorists in the area together in working to protect our hobby, many of the detectorist i have spoken to are retired cops, city workers or retired military . and may know people who know people ...
great idea Joe ...
gonna look into this from a few angles in my area.
I do often run an Add in the CL in my area as a " professional detectorist "
if only they knew , im really the village idiot ... but i have been called a few times to assist in locating objects for people, and yes i do have a set fee per hour ...

again great idea Joe ...

BONES ...
(03-01-2014 12:21 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Found this online and thought it would start some feedback.
http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/n...62b15.html

Haven't seen this around my area.

wish I was close enough to go. Maybe they will report on what happened
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's