Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What's Your Day Job?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Wayne, think we would get along fine...no gay,lol.
(03-19-2014 04:12 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Wayne, think we would get along fine...no gay,lol.

Ray, I gotta hand it to you...

You always give me a good laugh Yes I'm reading the freakin post, then, at the end I see; "no gay, lol". I literally almost choked on my food laughing so hard.

I think as a joke, we should all have that as a sign-off at the end of our posts, as a way to pay homage to you. It would be kinda hilarious. Like this...

"..., so, little luck today. Just the usual clad, a couple of wheats & an old boy scout slide. Better luck next time. No gay."

Hahahahaha

Joe
I'm a cashier at the local super market by day, a graphic artist by night, and a baby sitter on the weekends. Tongue
I work in a beef slaughter house. We harvest 1,500-1,800 cows a day. Currently my job title there is a "gutter".... Yep I gut cows 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week.
(03-22-2014 01:02 AM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]I work in a beef slaughter house. We harvest 1,500-1,800 cows a day. Currently my job title there is a "gutter".... Yep I gut cows 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week.
Man , that sounds like a job with some "vibes" attached to it!!
"Dirty Jobs" ever do a segment on it?
BTW , how do they kill them now? Bolt gun?
I appreciate your service. I like beef.
(03-22-2014 01:02 AM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]I work in a beef slaughter house. We harvest 1,500-1,800 cows a day. Currently my job title there is a "gutter".... Yep I gut cows 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

I gotta tell ya, that is fascinating. I don't think I would ever be able to stomach doing that day in, day out, but, I'm sure you simply get used to it after a while, much like a mortician, EMT, etc.

Yes, same question...is it still by bolt gun? Also, is there any part of a cow that ISN'T used in something? Or, is it pretty much all put to use in something?

Joe
Yep it's a bolt gun that runs off compressed air 3/8" bolt on cows and steers 5/8" bolt for bulls. That is a very strict part of the process monitored and caught on camera by the U.S.D.A at all times. The knocker(guy that runs the gun) has a spot about the size of a quarter to hit if he misses that spot the whole plant could get shut down. And no there is absolutely no waste. Even the blood is collected into holding tanks that catch the gases that are released from it and burnt in one of the furnaces that heats our hot water. Our company won't let outsiders in especially with cameras to do dirty jobs we tried.. They don't want the plants technologies to be seen by our competitors.
(03-22-2014 12:52 PM)PAunderground Wrote: [ -> ]Yep it's a bolt gun that runs off compressed air 3/8" bolt on cows and steers 5/8" bolt for bulls. That is a very strict part of the process monitored and caught on camera by the U.S.D.A at all times. The knocker(guy that runs the gun) has a spot about the size of a quarter to hit if he misses that spot the whole plant could get shut down. And no there is absolutely no waste. Even the blood is collected into holding tanks that catch the gases that are released from it and burnt in one of the furnaces that heats our hot water. Our company won't let outsiders in especially with cameras to do dirty jobs we tried.. They don't want the plants technologies to be seen by our competitors.

Man, that's crazy...and cool at the same time. That's pretty amazing about the blood being able to heat your facility! 

It WOULD be kind of awesome too, if you actually had a business card that said; "TITLE: Gutter" Shocked

Joe
It is fascinating but morbid I guess.
My Dad was a 20 something in Philly during the Depression and worked in a slaughter house. He used to tell me stories that curled your hair. I worked in a rendering plant for a while but that was whole different story---most of those critters were dead for a while before we got them. According to my old man , the knocker as you call him in the place he worked was a 6'4" black dude that straddled the cattle chute with a sledge--wonder what his window of success was? Side of the chute folded down to roll the cattle out and in came the next one.
Retired four years ago, early retirement from Butler Board of Ed. has supt. of Buildings and grounds after 30 years.Worked for 6 years for the Morris county Parks before that,.That how I started detecting saw someone in the park and went up to him and talked to him , I was hooked. Been detecting over 40 years now. Hey Joe maybe I brought from your company?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's