Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Dying Spots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Diggers, wanted to get some opinions...

I have detecting spots that I've grown VERY attached to over the years, for various reasons; easily accessible & close by, amount of good targets found, age/history of the place, etc. So...

While most of them have reached a point of diminishing returns, I keep going back. Not only for the reasons above, but, we all know nobody can get everything. There's always SOMETHING else to be ferreted out. Yet...

The amount of goodies are slim versus the amount of work one has to put in. My questions are then...

1. Do you have spots you keep hitting that are past their prime?

2. Why do you keep returning to them?

3. When the well runs dry at a spot, do you simply move on, or, do you keep going back scrounging for that last hidden drop of finds?

Reason I ask is, I think there's a lot of underlying psychology at play when it comes to situations like this. And this is important, as the mental game of swinging is equally as important as the physical, IMO.

What say you?

Joe
I haven't been detecting for very long, but I do have a favorite place. I know it's been hit since Mr. White started selling detectors. The history of the spot is well known. I can't stay away from it though. When I first started I found a 1901V nickel there. Old coins still pop out here and there and lots of other old stuff. There are alot of places to go, but I usually find myself there. I can walk there from my house in about ten minutes too. Psychological? Analyze this.
(03-19-2014 09:28 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't been detecting for very long, but I do have a favorite place.  I know it's been hit since Mr. White started selling detectors.  The history of the spot is well known.  I can't stay away from it though.  When I first started I found a 1901V nickel there.   Old coins still pop out here and there and lots of other old stuff.  There are alot of places to go, but I usually find myself there.  I can walk there from my house in about ten minutes too.  Psychological?  Analyze this.

Here would be my take, Will...

1. The spot means a lot to you emotionally, since you found one of your first oldies there. It gets your blood boiling.

2. It's close. We're are all creatures of habit, and human nature says we like the most reward with the least effort (I know I do!), so, being it's only a 5 minute walk from your house, it takes no work.

3. Most detectorists have a gambling streak within them. So, I'm assuming you do, too. You keep going back (like me) hoping to wring out another goodie. Like the guy playing a slot machine who's losing his shirt, the only thing that keeps him going are small, infrequent hits along the way, which makes him salivate even more hoping for the big one.

This would be me, in a nutshell. And I'd venture to say many other hunters, as well Yes

Joe
Reference URL's