Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: WOW Can't Believe the Air Test Depth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Picked up a White's Blue & Grey detector last year. Priced right and heard and read some great reviews. This detectors rocks, even tho its a bit on the heavy side. A Detector Buddy sling makes it featherweight.

[attachment=1419]

I was impressed with it last fall, found some really deep coins with the 9.5 coil.
Monte and others said get the smaller 5.3 (6 1/2") Bullseye coil, you won't regret it.

Hunted for one, picked up a new one reasonable from Backwood's Detectors.
Threw it on the detector and played around with it indoors, that was last fall before the snow hit.

[attachment=1428]

This is a bit crazy.......air test results.

GEB norm or GEB SAT:
Canadian half dime(size of a US 3 cent silver)....... 10"
Canadian $1- $2 coin...............................................12"
14kt gold wedding band................. .........................14"

TR Disc mode same as above

GEB/Disc about 60% of above depths

Will be interesting to check out actual field performance this year.

I didn't like the red on black face plate, too hard to read. So it was changed it to the 5900 series yellow on black.

[attachment=1429]

[attachment=1430]
Nice! Those old Blue & Grey's are supposed to be bad ass!!! How is it with iron? Does it false on the deeper iron?

I've always wanted to try a harness, but, hate being attached to things. Do you need to unlatch it or take it off while retrieving targets, or does it stay on the whole time?

BTW, Backwoods rocks! Richard takes care of his customers Yes

Joe
Haven't used the BG much last year, early winter. Did get out for about 5 hours 3 times at local schoolyards and parks. So I was not into any really heavy iron areas.
But it was finding coins deeper than the other modern day LCD ID machines missed that I covered some of the same ground with. Did get out with the small coil for about 3 hours one evening before the snow. It does change the way the BG operates. You can slow your swing down to almost non-motion speed.
I am used to White's used the 5000's for years. The BG is like a breath of fresh air, after using modern digital machines. Smooth operation, really nice threshold and deep in GEB Norm.

The Detecting Buddy is nice, it's not to much of an annoyance being tethered to the machine like some other straps. If your beach hunting using a hand scoop, it's wonderful. I'm 6'1", the strap or bungee could have been about 3" longer, then it would be perfect for me. If you have a heavy machine and you use one of these, guarantee the machine will feel like 2 oz. It just sits there in mid air if you release.
Your basically swinging an almost weight object.

I keep a Buddy in the car to pull out as needed.  Minelab fatigue mainly.  I am 5' 9" and think it could have been a touch longer.  I use a small bungie cord to get a bit of extra length.  It is not a problem to leave connected or pop on and off quickly.
I need a harness... Just to lift my finds pouch.... I wish... LOL
(04-03-2014 02:39 PM)PastTom Wrote: [ -> ]I keep a Buddy in the car to pull out as needed.  Minelab fatigue mainly.  I am 5' 9" and think it could have been a touch longer.  I use a small bungie cord to get a bit of extra length.  It is not a problem to leave connected or pop on and off quickly.

Tom, I haven't used one, but, they have the new Minelab harnesses now. Not sure if it's compatible with what you're swinging though. I've heard they're light years ahead of the Detecting Buddies. They have the Swingy Thingies, also.

Joe
PastTom, I got one for the same reason. It took a bit of getting used to and adjustment, but now, when I use it after my arm and shoulder get fatigued, I kinda like it. Mostly because you don't have to worry about the detector falling over on the ground in all this mud and muck your missing over there in Spring Valley Santa Barbara. It stays suspended somewhat under your arm. I've adjusted the length of the rod accordingly so I'm not holding the machine's weight and the coil just about touches the ground. Those Minelab harnesses are kinda pricey and remind me of a backpack frame. They no doubt work and I could see using one with a CTX 3030 at 7.5 #'s.

I saw that swingy thingy but opted for the detector buddy. I could see where a tall person would have a problem with it as it doesn't adjust out far enough and you're probably at the extent of your rod extension. But I'm a Hobbit by comparison at now a measly 5'4". The incredible shrinking man. LOL

I've never seen a White's detector like that one Sven. Those air tests are incredible. Looks like it was one of those analogs that took the technology of that time to the limit. Be interested to hear what you get and at what depth. Were they using the three frequencies at that time?
Whites made a lot of special editions that most people never saw.
One of the wildest was the Seirra Madre / ULA-3. With it's optional 15" coil, it was rated at 5' depth by Whites.  it sold for $600.
Frank...
[attachment=1573]
Wasn't it "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" that Humphrey Bogart played the crazed Pscho in? If that detector was as good as his "Crazy", it must have been a good detector, no doubt.
(04-04-2014 11:06 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't it "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" that Humphrey Bogart played the crazed Pscho in? If that detector was as good as his "Crazy", it must have been a good detector, no doubt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 76 and if you saw that movie in a theater, you got to be closing in on me.
lol  Frank...
[attachment=1633]
Reference URL's