Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Relics in the Rain...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(03-31-2014 10:29 PM)micahmoore Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys!

SLC, the other relics are usually 1880s-early 1900s.
Some of the older parks here were tent citys after the big earthquake and so lots of dropped stuff.
The silver coins have been sniped ages ago but luckily I love relics and dig low tones left by others.

On the gilt, I've had great luck with cleaning very carefully.
On the ones that are black and totally corroded I'll chance naval jelly like this article:
http://www.wetreasures.com/treasures/feature/201202.htm

But where its green/brown only like for this button, lemon juice and a qtip slowly will do wonders. Recipe I used is here:

mix about a tablespoon of Lemon Juice with 1/2 tablespoon of water

use a q-tip and/or old soft toothbrush & work slowly cleaning one side at a time. Repeat as necessary

(try not to let the liquid get down into the inside of the button halves where you can't get if out)

once you've reached the desired results, I mix up some baking soda & water to neutralize the effects of the lemon juice, rub it on with a q-tip & hand dry, (you can also use some distilled water after the baking soda, just in case there's "grit" left over)

if there's any gilt left on the button, if should show up pretty quickly after a few minutes

Happy
-M

Thanks Micah!  I will try that on my next button.
That's one killer button,congats! Glad I could help a fellow detectorist.
Sometimes that rain pays off! Nice button find and thanks for the recipe.Happy
that's sweet I hope I find one or two
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's