Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Gobbs of clad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is a photo from yesterday. 2 hours on the second trip for $2.86 in clad. No ringed pull tabs because I got their tone down pat and no screw caps because I toss them. One of those skeleton keys was buried and the remainder was sticking up out of the ground. 2 shotgun shell brass were from the woods surrounding the area after a quick 1/2 hour look see. Found a new spot that has never been detected, unless of course, they took all the silver and left the clad. Had $5.44 clad and copper from a previous day for 1.5 hours but that's through solution and rolled. All of this was with the 8x6 SEF with the SE Pro FULL OUT. Some clad dimes were down as far as 10". No Joke. Most of the rest was between surface and 5". About a half dozen Canadian pennies as well in the mix. Took the day off today because I boogered my right middle finger late yesterday jamming the trowel down through some hard ground and hit a root unexpectedly forcing my hand off the trowel and dead into the dirt for a whopper of a jammed knuckle. Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking and HH out there!!!

[attachment=2072]
Nice keys, Ed! I LOVE me some skeleton keys Yes Your coin depths are almost EXACTLY like our spots here in NJ. Clad and/or trash within the first few inches, and the oldies start rearing their heads at around the 5" mark...normally a tad deeper, though. And yes, we routinely pull clad at 8, 9, 10" here also, in some places. It can vary so wildly from spot to spot, even WITHIN the spot! Fill dirt in one section where clad dimes are down a foot, and then a merc at like 6" just 3 feet away.

No need to get the Safari you mentioned in my thread, Ed. You've already got a beast on your hands Wink Just keep swinging. Every swing equals more knowledge. Catalogue those sounds into the metal file cabinet. I know my machine like the back of my hand, yet, I STILL make a new realization on every hunt! They are special machines Happy

Joe
That is alot of clad.  I never get close to that much.  Pulltabs aren't always pulltabs.
(06-13-2014 11:16 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Pulltabs aren't always pulltabs.

VERY true, Will! One thing about Minelabs though...

Unlike most metal detectors, with say, low, medium & high tones, ML's literally have a slightly different, nuanced sound for every conceivable type of target. Dig the same types of targets over & over again countless times, and your ear begins to recognize the sound. Is it always correct? Absolutely not. However, it's pretty accurate most of the time. I can tell you within a good window, when I have a memorial versus a wheat, a clad surface quarter versus a silver, etc. Tones, tones, tones are one of the major reasons the ML's shine. Couple the sound info with target size, depth, location, etc., and it's scary how often you can predict what you'll dig. Now, can you do this on other detectors? Yes, however, it's a LOT easier to do it on a ML, IMO.

Joe
Those keys are cool!
Nice keys!! I would like to find a set like that.
I love those keys!  They look pretty clean.  How old do you think they are?  The ones I've found were all super crispy.  I've done the same thing with my fingers.  That hurts!
I think the keys are older than the fob. The clasp and one key were actually laying on the ground under some heavy green cover and the fob, chain and other key were buried under about 1" of dirt. Age wise, I don't know. It looked to me that somebody gave some old keys to some child and he/she went off and lost them, probably for lesson learned. Although those types of lock sets are still available custom made, I'd guess these are copies from the 50's and 60's. Lot of the houses built from the 20's and 30's still have entrance locks that use skeleton keys around here. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And that's a first for me with the finger. Knuckle is still a little swollen but now more usable than yesterday. I knew I was in trouble with it right after it happened.
That sucks about the finger.  Hopefully it'll get better soon so you can get out and find more treasure!
Thanks SLC, but screw the finger, I'll use my left hand. Found an old pre 1952 campground via aerials today that's mostly all woods now and am checking it out over the weekend. I'll post results.
Reference URL's