Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I ask for your advice...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I just joined & all, but I ask for your expertise.  My quests have always longed for silver & have sometimes been successful but as many of you know, it's not as plentiful as any of us desire.  I've come to realize, GOLD is my detecting weakness & an area in which I could use a LOT of improvement.  What I'm getting at is the question:  Has anyone stumbled upon even a slight clue in determining gold from foil???  As technology & detectors evolve, I keep thinking (even though their properties are extremely similar) that someone/something will someday better determine a way to at the very least, have a more educated probability before digging that goshdarned foil...  I use an E-Trac, so as comments related to my machine are desired, any & all techniques can be learned from!

-Or maybe it's the same as it's been for decades.....if you want gold, ya gotta dig the foil.  :dull:
I've got an SE Pro. I'll dig the signal if the numbers hold true. So say I get a 12-01 and it doesn't bounce, I'll dig it. Other than that I'll pass it over. No gold yet with the SE.
(06-22-2014 02:37 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I've got an SE Pro. I'll dig the signal if the numbers hold true. So say I get a 12-01 and it doesn't bounce, I'll dig it. Other than that I'll pass it over. No gold yet with the SE.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll watch that closer.  Makes sense, as with higher conductors, if the CO numbers aren't bouncing, dig.
I have an Etrac as well and have not found any gold yet either. I've heard some of the same things as Ohio Dirt Fisher. If its a solid tone ya just gotta dig it and see. The difference between it and scratchy signals makes a big difference.
(06-22-2014 05:14 PM)DangItBobby Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Etrac as well and have not found any gold yet either. I've heard some of the same things as Ohio Dirt Fisher. If its a solid tone ya just gotta dig it and see. The difference between it and scratchy signals makes a big difference.

Thank you for the input!  Guess the bottom line is hard work pays off.  Dig solid tones no matter what.  Nothing worthwhile comes quick.
(06-22-2014 05:21 PM)Silver Digger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2014 05:14 PM)DangItBobby Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Etrac as well and have not found any gold yet either. I've heard some of the same things as Ohio Dirt Fisher. If its a solid tone ya just gotta dig it and see. The difference between it and scratchy signals makes a big difference.

Thank you for the input!  Guess the bottom line is hard work pays off.  Dig solid tones no matter what.  Nothing worthwhile comes quick.

Finds silver well enough! Lol. But yea, the gold seems a bit harder to find. Still looking forward to the day I do. Definitely have dig up enough foil/pull tabs, that's for sure
(06-22-2014 06:41 PM)DangItBobby Wrote: [ -> ]

Finds silver well enough! Lol. But yea, the gold seems a bit harder to find. Still looking forward to the day I do. Definitely have dig up enough foil/pull tabs, that's for sure

We'll keep digging those strong signals!  Let me know when you find some gold brotha!  Yes
(06-22-2014 06:44 PM)Silver Digger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2014 06:41 PM)DangItBobby Wrote: [ -> ]

We'll keep digging those strong signals!  Let me know when you find some gold brotha!  Yes
Will do sir. Same goes to you!
There is a lot more silver to be found than gold.  There is no detector that can tell you for sure that something is gold or any other metal.  You just have to dig trash.  I usually dig every pulltab unless I'm in a site that is overloaded with them.  Then I just dig some.  Same with foil.  I've found jumpy numbers to sometimes be good targets also.  Could just be the detectors I've used, but basically what I'm saying is you never know what something is unless you dig it.  Learn your machine and the discriminater in your head will work better.  There really aren't any shortcuts.  It takes time and practice.  Leave some pulltabs there for me.
I'm mainly a coin hunter (about 70% of my detecting), so, my gold pursuits are normally on the beach. Best advice I can give is simple, but, it works...

Dig everything...ESPECIALLY those low & medium tones. As you know, smaller woman's gold rings normally ring up in the foil range on most detectors. Heavier pieces will be in the pull tab range.

On land, unless I'm at an old spot with little modern trash, I'm not a 'dig it all' hunter. So, not my cup of tea. However, if one is looking for gold, that's really the best thing you can do Yes

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's