Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Brass Something
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went out tonight with dad and we found the usual horseshoes and tack from a small pasture from the 1840s down the road from us but near the end of our hunt he pops out this thing. I think its for a horse's leather bits and bobs but it also looks like its off a sword but thats a stretch. Anyone on here know?
That's a really nice piece dad found Eric! I couldn't hazard a guess though. I would think bit's and bridles, but I haven't the faintest where to look. Tell your dad "nice catch" from me!

Ed
I would guess a part of a halter.  Look towards the bottom of the halter.  That would be my best guess.
That's a cool find.  Keep hitting that spot.
(10-06-2014 08:38 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]I would guess a part of a halter.  Look towards the bottom of the halter.  That would be my best guess.

Good call, Ron, that does look like an acceptable match Yes

Joe
It is a gag loop for using on a horse. Google an image of it and see.
Definitely horse tack.  Good work on finding a similar image.

I see the image that is listed calling it a gag loop and also on the website but it is odd that none of of the other pictures confirmed it.  None of the other gag bits had that piece on it.  Maybe it is just a name for that type of loop.

I still  lean towards a bridle harness part as I consistently see a similar shaped loop in those images.

Part of the fun of this hobby is trying to figure out what the hell we find!!
I haven't a clue any which way, however, I do know one thing...

Ron, if I ever catch you wearing either one of those getups, you're instantly banished from our community! Rofl

Joe
very nice find
Well  , I spent the first half of my life on or around equine and personally I don't think either guess is correct but they're still probably better than mine. Never heard of gag loop before , maybe it's an Eastern term you Yankees use , but all the images I can find relate that to some form of snaffle bit , which it ain't(sic) since it's way too small for anything except maybe a pony bit and they're almost always rigid. As far as the halter part , the offset on the rotation is wrong unless it's been bent to less than 90 degrees--pretty light weight for that also but , hey , it's possible.
My guess is some sort of a reign guide off of draft/working horse tack or maybe a carriage reign guide. 
Might also be off of a purse strap from the local hooker.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's