Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 2 Quarters! #56 & #57
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just mentioned to DougJ7 yesterday how lucky he was to find a Standing Liberty Quarter. I guess it's Fate but I scratched it off my list today as the second quarter dug for the hunt. The first was a 1908 D Barber. The Standing Liberty is a 1926. It was very badly stained, almost black on the liberty side, so I soaked it in ammonia for about 5 minutes and tooth brushed it to get it to the condition in the photograph. Along side it were the 34 & 36 wheats.

Believe it or not, both quarters were no more than 2 inches down in the dirt under the leaves and the Barber was a SCREAMER 29. I thought it was a pop can lid but it was too tight a signal. The Standing Liberty, being so close to the 2 wheats, at a separate location, gave me a loud 4-27, which I would associate with a real corroded wheat. But when I pinpointed I got a strong 0-28, 0-29 and dug that first. I about crapped myself when I saw the rim and then almost passed out when I could see the Standing Liberty.

I also found a modern era wrist watch, a tootsie toy car in 2 pieces, and some kind of buckle looking thing made of brass. I'll post those on the next thread tomorrow morning, as I'm taking pics now with my phone and then emailing them to myself to download for editing and it's a long process. And I dug a whole crapload of just plain junk too!!!

It was a cold, wet and rainy day but I loved every minute of it.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!

Ed
Congrats on scratching that one off your list, and in great shape most I've seen can't even read the date.
that standing liberty is SWEEET !!!
WTG Ed ... Yes

and you still have a month before the new year. Yes
(12-02-2014 09:29 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]that standing liberty is SWEEET !!!
WTG Ed ... Yes

and you still have a month before the new year. Yes

Thank You Bones! I'm going to hit that spot again tomorrow and the rest of the week. Wish me luck!! I drive by that area all the time and today I finally said, "I'm going to do this area." Man, am I glad I did. I think it's pretty close to virgin. Those two quarters weren't 40 feet from each other.

Ed
That sounds like a sweet little spot. gotta creep over that one nice and slow ... Yes
Awesome quarters Ed. 2" big silvers. Sounds virgin to me. Good luck over there.
(12-02-2014 09:55 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome quarters Ed. 2" big silvers. Sounds virgin to me. Good luck over there.

Thanks Will! I used the 11" Pro Coil today but I'm going to slap on the big 12x10 SEF tomorrow and see if I can cover more ground. It's a big area and not terribly trashy. The nice thing about the 12x10 is it doesn't project horizontally as much as the 11" at the same sensitivity. I was using 24 sense most of the time today except when the leaves got pretty thick, then I upped it to 28. 32 is max for the SE Pro and with my coils it's too much, even in moderately trashy areas.

Ed

(12-02-2014 09:37 PM)IndianaBones Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like a sweet little spot. gotta creep over that one nice and slow ... Yes

I will Bones! I'm swapping out the 11" for the 12X10 tomorrow as I explained to Will. The area is half marshy swamp with a lot of trees down. And the ground is wet/muddy so the signal strength will be wide. I don't know how far I'll get with the bigger coil because it's a heavy sucker. I can usually only swing it for an hour or so before switching out. I've been thinking about getting the 13" Ultimate for the SE as it weighs so much less and could help me cover a lot more ground. The trick to areas like mine are covering ground. The targets are there, you just have to "fish" them out. Chuckle The detector will find the stuff if you pass over it. I reject a lot of hits Bones. If I dug everything I'd sometimes spend two hunts in a 10' X 10' area with not much to show for it. "Cover Ground", that's my motto. If you don't, somebody else will or has already. And I'm with Leo as far as settings are concerned. He and I are pretty much of the same mind when it comes to the SE Pro. Good luck down there man. I mean it. You got an Oyster worth the Golden Egg!!

Ed

(12-02-2014 09:29 PM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on scratching that one off your list, and in great shape most I've seen can't even read the date.

Thanks Redd!! Hey, another good luck to you on that stagecoach site this weekend! And I hope you're feeling better!

Ed
Hey Ed,

Glad you found your 1st standing liberty. What's next on your list?
(12-02-2014 10:36 PM)dougj7 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Ed,

Glad you found your 1st standing liberty. What's next on your list?

Hey Doug, THANKS! Next on my list is a SEATED! Any Seated. I'll take it. But our history here makes Location, Location, Location a very tough business. The oldest thing I've ever found was a 1836 R. W. Robinson Trade Token when digging out river cracks in the area before I ever started detecting. So I know those seated are here somewhere. Somewhere is the problem! 29 more days left. And if I find one it'll be a moment I'll never forget. I own a 1857 Seated Quarter about 60 condition as it still has lustre. I'll take one out of the dig with a hole in it just to say I did it. That's what's it's all about!!

Ed
Congratulations Ed on the 2 beautiful quarters. It's great when the SLQ's have a clear date. Gerry
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's