Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Bullet old or modern?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is this bullet old or modern, can anyone tell me? 
I was thinking early 1900's possible late 1800's?

http://idighistory.weebly.com/blog
There's others here much better equipped to handle your question, but, going on the few I've seen and/or found...

It appears old. The white color happens because of oxidation, which is a clue to age. I don't think they use modern bullets like that, though not 100%.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd go maybe late 1800's. Don't take that to the bank, though Yes

Either way, fantastic find!

Joe
I'm no bullet expert either, but here's what I think anyway. I think it's an old muzzleloader type bullet. The white color is definitely a clue of age. Another thing is that the bottom is flattened instead of the tip. That makes me think that it was not a rifled barrel. A bullet fired from a smooth bore will tumble in the air. That's what I think.
(02-02-2015 06:35 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]There's others here much better equipped to handle your question, but, going on the few I've seen and/or found...

It appears old. The white color happens because of oxidation, which is a clue to age. I don't think they use modern bullets like that, though not 100%.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd go maybe late 1800's. Don't take that to the bank, though Yes

Either way, fantastic find!

Joe
Thanks Joe,
I also noticed the white patina on the lead and figured that had to ensure about 100 years anyway, at least that is what I have always heard.

(02-02-2015 06:42 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm no bullet expert either, but here's what I think anyway.  I think it's an old muzzleloader type bullet.  The white color is definitely a clue of age.  Another thing is that the bottom is flattened instead of the tip.  That makes me think that it was not a rifled barrel.  A bullet fired from a smooth bore will tumble in the air.  That's what I think.

Seems awfully small for that, it's barely bigger than a 22, did they ever make muzzleloader bullets that small? 
I think its around 1864
During the civil war there were small hand held guns that took a bullet like that . Just alittle larger than todays 22.My guess would be around that time period. Check the chart I post last year.
CW era pistol bullet

.31 to .36 cal most likely (if barely bigger than a .22 bullet) as you say...

Could go to a Navy Colt or the like

PS

wherever you found that = I'd go back to that same exact spot and POUND that place to death with every machine you have in your tool shed -- there's gotta be more stuff there/around the area!
No Clue here but great find
(02-03-2015 06:47 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]CW era pistol bullet

.31 to .36 cal most likely (if barely bigger than a .22 bullet) as you say...

Could go to a Navy Colt or the like

PS

wherever you found that = I'd go back to that same exact spot and POUND that place to death with every machine you have in your tool shed -- there's gotta be more stuff there/around the area!

I found it just outside my back door and I search there all the time, but it's a small target and was hiding in a trashy area. I'm not surprised to find it there, but I am surprised it was only about 4 inches deep. I will research the bullets you suggest and compare, thanks for the tip!

(02-02-2015 08:09 PM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]I think its around 1864

That would be so awesome! Union soldiers raided the county in October 1863, my home was the confederate Army's infirmary for their local fort, and the Union soldiers were sure to have spent a good deal of time on my property. I can only imagine the soldier that fired this round, if in deed this bullet is from that period. Thanks for the tip! 

(02-02-2015 10:51 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]During the civil war there were small hand held guns that took a bullet like that . Just alittle larger than todays 22.My guess would be around that time period. Check the chart I post last year.

Thanks for the tip!

(02-03-2015 10:33 AM)Mike Miller Wrote: [ -> ]No Clue here but great find

Thanks friend!Beer
I am no expert either but you can clearly see or count the numbers of rings. It looks like a three ringer minne ball. I don't know why the back is smashed and not the front because it does appear to have been fired

defineatly a cool find congratulations
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's