Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: When you start researching where is a good place to start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am interested in doing better research now that it is -10 degrees outside. I would love to get my act together before the spring so I can possibly go to more productive sites.
I do as much as I can on line. Then I go to the county Historic Library and see where that leads me. Sometimes just talking to the local people can lead you to really great spots that you didn't even know about.
(02-14-2015 07:18 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I am interested in doing better research now that it is -10 degrees outside. I would love to get my act together before the spring so I can possibly go to more productive sites.

My research? I simply tail behind Bullet Bob while he's driving to his hunting spots Tongue

Like most, I enjoy poring over old maps, and then looking at modern day maps to see what's still there...and grassy...not paved over. Keep in mind...

Even if a spot like a park or picnic area or something was beat to shreds over the years, with these new deeper machines nowadays, they will still produce...in some cases, very well, depending on the place.

Joe
As far as the internet, most properties are listed online as well through the county recorders office or a service they run. I can look up the property owner and know his name and the general borders of the property before I head out. Online maps are okay but if you really have the time, go to the county recorders office and ask to see old maps they have for reference. Some of the bigger ones have all this on microfiche or transferred to a program in their computer files. The smaller ones may still have the map books with the 20"x30" maps going back to settlement times. If you get to know the people there after a few trips things flow a lot smoother but it is very time consuming and you have to have your pencil sharpened pretty good before you get there or you'll be going in circles until you understand how each department works and how they filed stuff. I try and use the smaller libraries too in the towns and hit the historical societies as well. Most of the societies are all volunteer and you have to call and get an appointment or find out what hours they are there. And be prepared with questions as these folks just love to talk local history. Good luck and have fun. It's a real eye opener and worth the effort.
(02-14-2015 07:42 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]As far as the internet, most properties are listed online as well through the county recorders office or a service they run. I can look up the property owner and know his name and the general borders of the property before I head out. Online maps are okay but if you really have the time, go to the county recorders office and ask to see old maps they have for reference. Some of the bigger ones have all this on microfiche or transferred to a program in their computer files. The smaller ones may still have the map books with the 20"x30" maps going back to settlement times. If you get to know the people there after a few trips things flow a lot smoother but it is very time consuming and you have to have your pencil sharpened pretty good before you get there or you'll be going in circles until you understand how each department works and how they filed stuff. I try and use the smaller libraries too in the towns and hit the historical societies as well. Most of the societies are all volunteer and you have to call and get an appointment or find out what hours they are there. And be prepared with questions as these folks just love to talk local history. Good luck and have fun. It's a real eye opener and worth the effort.

Solid advice Yes

Joe
Ok, thanks all! So far you guys have given me great advice. Now I just have to get going and dig up some possible spots.

Very cool, thanks again
I like to go on http://www.historicaerials.com/ and just look at my hometown and use the slide with oldest aerials and newest or oldest topographies and newest pics.
My hometown aerial photographs go as far back as 1965, but I have looked up other towns with aerials as old as 1918!! So look there for your research as well as your local library. Check for maps, photographs and other old material. Also consider looking for your hometowns book by Arcadia publishing, "Images of America" at your library, or even consider purchasing it. It really aided me in my research. Read about the series here at http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/series/...of-America. Check around on the internet for more websites like maps, aerials, satellite images etc... I really like researching, it is just the permission asking that I don't like Sad
Happy hunting and Good Luck!
-Jonal
Jonal, thanks that inforamtion makes good sense. And thanks for those links, I will be sure to check them out and keep using them. Now you really got my juices flowing, this is going to be an awesome year!

Jonal, you would make a great hunting partner. 
Now let me see if I can help you a little -

The other night on a relic radio show they said you have to do the same thing you did in high school when you wanted a date.....just ask.....they can only say yes or no.

I felt he was right, if you don't ask you'll never know if you can detect on that day or another day in the future if today isn't good for the home owner
My boys came up with a good idea, they find out where sports games are played. Then hit the spots where the people sit while watching them play.
I do the same at ball fields or soccer fields. I look for the fringe area or areas in between fields were they place sports gear. Also, parents bring lawn chairs to sit and cheer them on but don't forget to search the field for gold or silver signals. They are there just go slow for the gold and dig pull tab signals.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's