Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Ha!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Someone who shall remain nameless, but is fairly new here, sent me a PM accusing me of only adding members finds to the banner if I receive a kickback, or because they are "buddies" with me. Short and to the point...

That is laughable.

He told me he's going to create a shitstorm because of the "dishonesty". I told him to be my guest Yes

Surely, you guys know I, we, this forum does everything in the most transparent of ways.

I'm not naming the person out of civility, and I hope you guys will chime in stating how ridiculously absurd his thinking is.

Joe
The only time I've seen anything go banner it was nominated by several members in post replies before it made it.
Sour apples ? C'mon it's a detecting blog. It's a hobby. Supposed to be fun. Some people think way to highly of themselves. Geeze. How pathetic.
(07-01-2015 06:51 AM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]The only time I've seen anything go banner it was nominated by several members in post replies before it made it.

Thanks, Redd. Yes, there absolutely have been times when everyone chimed in with their calls of a find being given a banner nod, and I will make it happen. In all fairness, though...

Because we don't have a terrifically large number of users here, and occasionally members might be gun shy to vote banner, I usually find myself grabbing the bull by the horns and adding things that I feel deserve more attention. One needn't be a rocket scientist to figure out which items these are, as most of the time these finds speak for themselves. However...

For anyone to suggest that I do this to make a quick buck, or because they're friends of mine, is simply not true. Not only is it not true, it's so far from reality, it's an absurd premise.

You guys talk, and I listen. Would we be better served here by ONLY having finds made banner by consensus? The only thing that worries me is, we sometimes don't have the most active/vocal of members, and if someone posts something that is really great, I don't want them to get the short end of the stick, based on our activity level or something.

Joe
I say keep it the way it's been. Those accusations are absurd.
(07-01-2015 07:18 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Sour apples ? C'mon it's a detecting blog. It's a hobby. Supposed to be fun. Some people think way to highly of themselves. Geeze. How pathetic.

I agree, Kajun Yes This stuff is supposed to be FUN. Leave the B.S. at the door.

Joe
I can understand the disappointment if you or I were really looking forward to that happening.
One thing I learned in this hobby is that - no matter how cool your find is - someone else found something just a little better then yours. It happens to me all of the time.
I would bring a find to the club meeting with hopes to win find of the month and by the time the meeting started there were at least three other itmes in that category.
Oh well it's only a piece of paper anyway I would tell myself but it meant more to me because I found it.
I have only been a member here for a short time but I have seen folks vote on items that were put into the banner.
Now for me - I never want any of my finds posted in the banner - or displayed in finds of the month at the club I go to. It's just me -
Well I can only say that the membership pretty much vote for what may become a banner find by voicing their opinion as such in the thread itself, which is self evident if you click on the banner find and go back to the posting. So to make such an accusation is pretty silly. I find a lot of cool stuff but nothing like some of the banner finds up there.

I know that Joe's passion and motivation for this hobby is not driven by money, but for the pure thrill of detecting.

ODF
(07-01-2015 07:41 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I say keep it the way it's been. Those accusations are absurd.

Thanks, Will. To be sure, I'm totally open to putting more of an official system in place, however, only if you guys feel it's necessary, or would work more efficiently/fairly.

I can deal with being being called a lot a things, almost anything doesn't bother me, as people who know me would tell you. But the honesty thing ruffled my feathers a bit, which is why I posted it. There are certain types who are braver when operating over PM, and thought I'd make the conversation public so this person can see that, A) His theory is WAY off base & B) I have nothing to hide, and would like my dealings on this matter held in the public square.

Joe
(07-01-2015 07:54 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Well I can only say that the membership pretty much vote for what may become a banner find by voicing their opinion as such in the thread itself, which is self evident if you click on the banner find and go back to the posting. So to make such an accusation is pretty silly. I find a lot of cool stuff but nothing like some of the banner finds up there.

I know that Joe's passion and motivation for this hobby is not driven by money, but for the pure thrill of detecting.

ODF

Ed, absolutely correct. Now that I think more about it, this person may have simply been trying to get me hot, or to stir up some controversy. I admit, this one got to me a little bit. Wanna call me an untalented hack? Go ahead, it'll roll right off my back. Wanna call me a prick? Feel free. Say anything you wish, and it'll flow away like a stream under a bridge. But don't accuse me of dishonesty!!! Especially without the FACTS to back it up. Will this person respond?

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's