Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: New Unit Opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I do agree on the hype thing. I don't believe all the hype when a new machine comes out. Especially when the maker is spending alot of time hyping it themselves. I do believe that different machines work differently and there are many factors that make them better in different ways. It doesn't have to be the newest model. I have the newest model T2 and the oldest model TDI. Each has it's place and I know what there strengths and weaknesses are. If I'm hunting a spot full of iron I'd much rather have the T2. In a hunted out spot without so much junk I really like the TDI. That spot that I dug the neck slide and lipstick is a very small area. It's bordered by steps, a fence, and a woods/weedline. It's triangular shaped. Maybe 10' at the widest and 30' long. I go back there alot because I dug one of my first silver quarters right there. I remember it was close to the fence. I had the little BH with the little coil. Probably was still there because bigger machines with bigger coils wouldn't work too good that close to a chain link fence. But anyways I suspect that the 2 big targets I dug with the TDI must have been masked by slag or foil or some other small bits of junk. A PI can see through this crap. A VLF cannot. ID would likely be all over the scale and be thought of as junk. So I don't agree that putting the coil over something is 90%. I think the machines ability to see the target has alot to do with it. Some are faster. Some are deeper. Some are better in bad soil. Some can actually see through crap like it isn't even there. It doesn't have to be the newest "best" machine out there. Just the right one for the situation.
(07-11-2015 11:53 AM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree on the hype thing. I don't believe all the hype when a new machine comes out. Especially when the maker is spending alot of time hyping it themselves. I do believe that different machines work differently and there are many factors that make them better in different ways. It doesn't have to be the newest model. I have the newest model T2 and the oldest model TDI. Each has it's place and I know what there strengths and weaknesses are. If I'm hunting a spot full of iron I'd much rather have the T2. In a hunted out spot without so much junk I really like the TDI. That spot that I dug the neck slide and lipstick is a very small area. It's bordered by steps, a fence, and a woods/weedline. It's triangular shaped. Maybe 10' at the widest and 30' long. I go back there alot because I dug one of my first silver quarters right there. I remember it was close to the fence. I had the little BH with the little coil. Probably was still there because bigger machines with bigger coils wouldn't work too good that close to a chain link fence. But anyways I suspect that the 2 big targets I dug with the TDI must have been masked by slag or foil or some other small bits of junk. A PI can see through this crap. A VLF cannot. ID would likely be all over the scale and be thought of as junk. So I don't agree that putting the coil over something is 90%. I think the machines ability to see the target has alot to do with it. Some are faster. Some are deeper. Some are better in bad soil. Some can actually see through crap like it isn't even there. It doesn't have to be the newest "best" machine out there. Just the right one for the situation.

It's a tough call either way Will, as there's simply no hard evidence to tell if a find was made because a new machine was used, or if one simply missed it previously, or some other factor was involved. For instance...

You know I use the Safari. If I took an F75 out tomorrow, and went over the same spots that I've hit with the Safari and find a gold ring, does the credit go to the MACHINE, or was it simply luck, that I happened to get my coil over it? Maybe I wasn't digging foil/pull tab signals previously, and decided to do so with the F75, and that's how I found the ring. Again, just too many variables for someone to start shouting "it was the new machine!"

Like I said, yes, I realize different frequencies will respond differently to different targets, which surely needs to be taken into consideration. And I'm sure that there ARE times when a different machine being used IS the reason for a nice find being made in an already worked spot, but what I was alluding to was how quick guys are to automatically make the machine the hero.

Of course, there are specialized applications where certain machines WILL excel at finding certain items that others will not, for instance, machines that are known for picking up on thin gold, or tiny nuggets, or maybe even a PI unit, where no other detector could've gotten down that deep, or picked up on a gold signal. This is an entirely different beast, and is 100% understandable. But I was mainly speaking of coin & relic hunting. If I take an Ace 250 and completely cover a small area and find nothing, and then you go in with a GPX 5000 and find 30 silvers, well, yes, in this case it would be the machine that makes the difference, as we're now talking specialized units.

Joe
Kajunman, yeah Yogi was a terrific player and all around funny dude. Good memories of him because dad got me hooked on the Yankees when I was knee high to a grass hopper. Nowadays baseball is a little boring to me and I would rather be out swinging but not for the fences but around them with a detector
LOL Tony. Ya I'm not a huge baseball fan anymore. Way too boring to watch on tv. I will go to  a live game when I get free tickets. However I do love me some football. LSU and the Cowboys. I bleed purple n gold on one side and blue and silver on the other.

Please don't tell me you're a NY Giants fan.
Baseball is huge here. The Buccos are actually good again.
Pittsburgwill dude, that's good. Happy for you.

I don't want this subject to take over Joe's original post. We can start one about baseball if you like.

I want to here more on Joe's post because there are several new brands out in the last two years and I am a minelab user now but I hhave hear the hype too -

Finding coins at 8 to 9 inches - lightweight detector - wireless headphones and yes this one too - I am now finding silvers where I didn't before.

I am not saying these are bad but I want to hear more - so please go ahead and let us know more.
I believe you are all correct in your observations.  I myself find that when I get a new
Detector I pay more attention , my swing speed decreases and I try to remember what the manual said about settings.  That being said , when I use my trusty m6 I don't even think about anything except finding the goodies.  And I tend to do better with my m6 than the new machine.
I usually buy and try a machine after its been out awhile, buy one used and save some money and get most back if not happy with the machine.

Of all the machines I have tried, find most performance claims  on the forums are hype and or embellished....................everyone is looking for the ultimate detector, so the hype draws us in.

What I have noticed are the differences in machines. Each one has strengths and weakness. If I could take the handful of VLF's I found to work for me and put all the strengths of each one into one machine, I'd be golden.

Sometimes its hard to decide which one to grab and hunt with, knowing the one you pick would find it all. Then you wonder what you walked over.....just means you have to go back with one of the other machines. Thats great if you own more than one machine and you have the time to go back. Or if you don't find another spot to draw your interest.

Tonight I have to make a choice of which VLF to hunt with. Hard decision.
To solve that problem, just going to grab my PI for the school yard hunt. It loves small gold and silver while it ignores the small foil. Something a VLF can't do.

Might just have to go back and own just two VLF's and my PI.
Here's the BEST answer anyone will EVER give as to which machine will find the most "stuff"...

Any moderately priced, mid tier machine will find 90% of the targets most other machines will, if one simply DIGS IT ALL.

And it's the truth, IMO. If they dug it ALL using a mid tier machine (maybe even a low tier machine), I am confident they will outperform most other machines. But...

How many are willing to do this? I know I don't, and most others, too. We're a bit lazy. Further, it isn't "sexy" enough. There's no magic new detector involved, no $2,900 machine to gossip about, no field reviews, air tests and other such nonsense. It's just old fashioned common sense, and that doesn't sell in this modern day age of hype & sizzle.

Joe
Well the Metal Sucker 2000 is old technology.  My Metal Sucker 2100 will kick it's butt!!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's