Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Site Suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am glad to hear you will assist the new folks in the hobby. Too bad I didn't have that help the first few years of detecting, it would have made a difference for sure.
(12-25-2015 12:34 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I am glad to hear you will assist the new folks in the hobby. Too bad I didn't have that help the first few years of detecting, it would have made a difference for sure.

I think we all owe it to both ourselves, and the newer guys, in terms of spreading our knowledge, whatever that may be; specific detector know how, tips, tricks, techniques, advice, research, etc. I believe we all have something to share. Not saying we already don't to some degree, but I think the community as a whole, needs to find a more efficient way to provide information to those just entering the hobby.

Joe
I went to a club in Connecticut because of the speaker they had on a particular night.

The speaker wrote a few books on Colonial troops and such. Before he spoke they had coffe and cake for members and it was take what you want and go back to your table and display your finds. That was how they encouraged the members to talk to one another and share. There were no club notes or roll call or anything - just mingle was the theme and it worked.
It would be a long drive to travel there monthly so my partner at the time decided he didn't want to go back. At the time I was working and getting home real late wasn't a great idea.

So I for one do agree - we need to do more of stuff to get folks talking to each other and enjoy the time we have in this crazy sport
(12-25-2015 11:32 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]So I for one do agree - we need to do more of stuff to get folks talking to each other and enjoy the time we have in this crazy sport

Agreed...! I believe the new section for helping beginners will do just that in a way. But I've been trying to think of more ways to have the members of TC to be able to come together more often. Sometimes there's days where only one new thread is made, or only a few. We as a whole need to come up with some good ideas to bring us together more often. Something weekly, twice a week or even Bi weekly. Something we can all relate too and talk about or something we can do as a TC family. I understand there are several different time zones on this forum and also people with full time jobs. So its kinda hard. But yes, I'd love to see a little more chatter among members and I'm sure the day will come. This is a great site with amazing peoole, maybe it just needs to be a little more known. But anywho, let's put our heads together and continue suggesting some more idea's. I really hope to see some more good suggestions!

P.S I have a surprise for when the new section comes out. If my surprise is approved at least. I believe it will be extremely unique and helpful to the beginner's and people who still require beginner knowledge...in hand. Smirk

I hope everyone had a happy healthy and safe Christmas.

GL and HH

Zach
A tutorial video section for beginners to watch would be cool. Could even break it down to sub categories, for example, brand of detector, digging tools, how to dig a plug, how to pinpoint, recording your hunts, how to tell the age of a site, cleaning your finds etc.
(12-26-2015 03:38 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-25-2015 11:32 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]So I for one do agree - we need to do more of stuff to get folks talking to each other and enjoy the time we have in this crazy sport

Agreed...! I believe the new section for helping beginners will do just that in a way. But I've been trying to think of more ways to have the members of TC to be able to come together more often. Sometimes there's days where only one new thread is made, or only a few. We as a whole need to come up with some good ideas to bring us together more often. Something weekly, twice a week or even Bi weekly. Something we can all relate too and talk about or something we can do as a TC family. I understand there are several different time zones on this forum and also people with full time jobs. So its kinda hard. But yes, I'd love to see a little more chatter among members and I'm sure the day will come. This is a great site with amazing peoole, maybe it just needs to be a little more known. But anywho, let's put our heads together and continue suggesting some more idea's. I really hope to see some more good suggestions!

P.S I have a surprise for when the new section comes out. If my surprise is approved at least. I believe it will be extremely unique and helpful to the beginner's and people who still require beginner knowledge...in hand. Smirk

GL and HH

Zach

Zach, I agree. We need to concentrate more on team play, which seems to be lacking. What I mean is...

If we all care about the community, everyone needs to pitch in. If I post one or two threads per day, it isn't much. If you post one or two threads per day, it isn't much. However, if a core collective of 20 or 30 members did this, we would have a nucleus to work with. I'm not suggesting at all to start threads to hit numbers, but, rather, to initiate conversations.

I've been here longer than anyone, I was literally the first member (lol), so I understand the way these things work. And, unfortunately, human motivations aren't normally self-ignited. We're all waiting for someone else to post something. We're all sitting around hoping someone else asks a question. Or someone else shares a cool mod or piece of advice. Instead, we should seek to start the conversations, or else they mightn't happen.

A strong community is largely made up of people with big cajones. On almost any forum, 90% of the posts are started by/kept going by only 5% or 10% of the members. These are the leaders. The conversation starters. Without them, the communities would slow to a crawl. As we're newer, we don't have a large enough pool to get many enormously active posters. So, we have to live with the inactivity, or do something about it. Take action.

I can definitively say, I, Gil, Al, and a few others, have worked our tails off to make this the best detecting community online. Is it perfect? No, and we're in the process of improving things. It's work-in-progress. We mightn't be the biggest, but we're different, and, in my mind, better than the competition. If we want to get to that next level though, we, all of us, as a whole, need to find a way to band together, and turn a spark into a roaring fire.

Joe
(12-28-2015 10:31 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2015 03:38 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]

GL and HH

Zach

Zach, I agree. We need to concentrate more on team play, which seems to be lacking. What I mean is...

If we all care about the community, everyone needs to pitch in. If I post one or two threads per day, it isn't much. If you post one or two threads per day, it isn't much. However, if a core collective of 20 or 30 members did this, we would have a nucleus to work with. I'm not suggesting at all to start threads to hit numbers, but, rather, to initiate conversations.

I've been here longer than anyone, I was literally the first member (lol), so I understand the way these things work. And, unfortunately, human motivations aren't normally self-ignited. We're all waiting for someone else to post something. We're all sitting around hoping someone else asks a question. Or someone else shares a cool mod or piece of advice. Instead, we should seek to start the conversations, or else they mightn't happen.

A strong community is largely made up of people with big cajones. On almost any forum, 90% of the posts are started by/kept going by only 5% or 10% of the members. These are the leaders. The conversation starters. Without them, the communities would slow to a crawl. As we're newer, we don't have a large enough pool to get many enormously active posters. So, we have to live with the inactivity, or do something about it. Take action.

I can definitively say, I, Gil, Al, and a few others, have worked our tails off to make this the best detecting community online. Is it perfect? No, and we're in the process of improving things. It's work-in-progress. We mightn't be the biggest, but we're different, and, in my mind, better than the competition. If we want to get to that next level though, we, all of us, as a whole, need to find a way to band together, and turn a spark into a roaring fire.

Joe

Well said Joe. I'll bring the marshmellows and 10ft skewers for this huge ass fire!
I've written a couple of articles for newbies--I'll submit one.

(12-25-2015 11:32 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I went to a club in Connecticut because of the speaker they had on a particular night.

The speaker wrote a few books on Colonial troops and such. Before he spoke they had coffe and cake for members and it was take what you want and go back to your table and display your finds. That was how they encouraged the members to talk to one another and share. There were no club notes or roll call or anything - just mingle was the theme and it worked.
It would be a long drive to travel there monthly so my partner at the time decided he didn't want to go back. At the time I was working and getting home real late wasn't a great idea.

So I for one do agree - we need to do more of stuff to get folks talking to each other and enjoy the time we have in this crazy sport

Sounds like my old club the Nor'easters. Great bunch of people. The meetings are fun and social. 
Joined a new club and it's so dry and structured (not the members, just the meetings).  No one has time to socialize-kinda takes the fun out of it. But I know all about volunteering my time and efforts in the detecting community.  It's a thankless job--so I won't criticize too much, because without their efforts there would be no club at all.
Detecting Diva
Quote:I've written a couple of articles for newbies--I'll submit one.

That'd be great, can't wait for the section to come up so I can read it! Thanks in advance
Detecting Diva, yeah Nor'easters was the club.

Too bad this hobby\sport wasn't more fun then competitive.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's