Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Site Suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-30-2015 08:29 PM)Detecting Diva Wrote: [ -> ]I've written a couple of articles for newbies--I'll submit one.

(12-25-2015 11:32 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]I went to a club in Connecticut because of the speaker they had on a particular night.

The speaker wrote a few books on Colonial troops and such. Before he spoke they had coffe and cake for members and it was take what you want and go back to your table and display your finds. That was how they encouraged the members to talk to one another and share. There were no club notes or roll call or anything - just mingle was the theme and it worked.
It would be a long drive to travel there monthly so my partner at the time decided he didn't want to go back. At the time I was working and getting home real late wasn't a great idea.

So I for one do agree - we need to do more of stuff to get folks talking to each other and enjoy the time we have in this crazy sport

Sounds like my old club the Nor'easters. Great bunch of people. The meetings are fun and social. 
Joined a new club and it's so dry and structured (not the members, just the meetings).  No one has time to socialize-kinda takes the fun out of it. But I know all about volunteering my time and efforts in the detecting community.  It's a thankless job--so I won't criticize too much, because without their efforts there would be no club at all.

I knew it was the Nor'Easters after he posted, as that's pretty much the only club in CT within driving distance of us. Jessie is a GREAT guy!!! Hope I can meet up with some of you CT hunters if I make it to the BONE event this Spring Happy

(12-30-2015 11:21 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Detecting Diva, yeah Nor'easters was the club.

Too bad this hobby\sport wasn't more fun then competitive.

I think it's both. I understand what you're getting at, but, believe me, any hobby with raving, addicted participants is competitive. Ever fish before? I know guys that would sooner kill someone, than give up their fishing spots. Ever been on a boat with 4 or 5 guys with their lines in the water? You'll hear more trash talking than in a ghetto dive bar.

Same in pool, darts, sports, or pretty much any other recreational hobby.

I enjoy the competitive angle, myself, as long as it's not mean spirited, and is just friendly ball breaking, it acts as a motivator, and adds another dimension to the hobby. At least, that's the way I look at it.

Let's be honest, there's even a competitive aspect to the forums, FB , etc. We all want to have that awesome find of the day, or the most insanely cool piece or whatever. When I see someone posting crazy amounts of silver, or a really cool relic, it peps me up, and puts me in a competitive mood. But it's not a mean-spirited thing, where there's anger or hostility involved, which I can see it becoming for some people.

Remember, there are many of us all looking for the same things, which aren't replenished once they're found. I'm talking old coins. It's supply & demand. When supply is low, the demand goes up, and the competition increases.

Believe me, the guys that are spending $1,000+ on detectors, plus all of the added gear (pinpointers, cameras, shovels, etc.) ARE competitive, simply based on what they spend on the hobby, regardless of whether they admit it, or not Yes

Joe
Wow I like this reading some good stuff. And I do admit I am just as competitive as the rest. And that's why I became a dealer so I could have all them different detectors at the ready if I wanted to buy them. And it works I have like 3 detectors I use a lot.
And the sites are there but I do have to watch whom I invite along, I have had sites that I invited the wrong person too. and boom they are there the next day with 10 of there friends. Then the land owners find out and nobody is ever allowed again.
Being a dealer I have a lot of friends that want to go out. And I do have spots where I take club members and friends but they are not the best spots, but if you hunt hard you can still pull some Indians and barbers. So I still give people a chance to find something
But the best part is people join clubs to find good spots, which doesn't work too well as most members are really tight for a reason. But if you do some research and have something to offer in the deal lots of people open up.
Just like I think the best deal is when someone takes you somewhere. Do not spread the word about where the site is and do not go back with out the person whom invited you to there in the first place. And for sure don't think about someone brought you to a spot well if you move over 10 feet that's your new spot.
Happy Hunting
(12-31-2015 07:59 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I enjoy the competitive angle, myself, as long as it's not mean spirited, and is just friendly ball breaking, it acts as a motivator, and adds another dimension to the hobby. At least, that's the way I look at it.
the hobby, regardless of whether they admit it, or not Yes

Joe

Idk if its because I'm new to the hobby or what, but I don't believe I have a competitive side to metal detecting. I enjoy seeing everyone's show and tell, makes me happy people are finding good finds. Does it make me jealous? Sometimes, a little, yes. But it gives me a drive, and motivates me like you said to find my own good finds in a non competitive way.

But any who...any new good ideas?! Happy

P.S I'll be announcing and hosting a contest/giveaway tomorrow for beginner's! So for those of you who are new to detecting like myself, I'd like to share something that I have that I hope will help you.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's