Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Machines You've Swung?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thought it would be interesting to see what machines everyone has used since entering the hobby, in order from oldest to newest, if possible. Here's my progression in the hobby...

MXT - Like many others, I saw the Whites commercial and ordered one, as I had an el cheapo detector when I was a kid, and it bought back a lot of memories. I did fairly well with it, but nothing to set the world on fire. Swung it for a few years, then swapped it for a Safari. But I was bitten by the bug BIG time.

Safari - First time using a Minelab, and not only did I NOT get it (the tones mainly), but I flat out hated it. Found some silver with it though, but became frustrated and sold it.

1021 CZ3D - The reason this website exists. I heard about the depth capabilities of the older, Los Banos 1021 models, and knew I had to have one, which I wanted Tom D. to tune for me, but tracking one down proved VERY difficult. Finally got one, had it tuned, and did VERY well with it. One of my favorite machines, to this day, and wish I never sold it, but its love of deep iron was an issue. Due to the difficult time finding an older CZ, I decided to start the classifieds.

CZ21 - I used to be big into beach hunting. The CZ21 was a KILLER water unit, and I did well with it. Sold it when I had my fill of the water game.

Omega - Decent unit, though not the hottest on deep coins, at least in my dirt, but I really didn't give it a full chance, after hunting numerous times and not finding any deepies with it. I actually like the Omega, though, and think it's a fantastic unit. If they could get a Minelab into the body of an Omega, I'm SOLD!

F75 SE - Powerful, deep, and more sensitive than a woman on her monthly cycle! VERY erratic, prone to lots of EMI, and the VDI info was essentially useless after a few inches. Not great for a deep coin hunter. This is another though, that I wish I held onto, and kept in my arsenal. I feel, if learned well, and used in the right locations, it's one of the deepest machines out there barring P.I.'s.

Safari (again) - Bought another Safari, as I was getting more into coin hunting, and never looked back. It clicked the second time, and everything started making sense. Even with its limitations, a GREAT coin sniper, and I'll always hold on to it.

AT Gold - Bought it only to try on some of the few heavy iron sites I sometimes hunt, and dang, it was KILLER in heavy iron. I used it with the Iron Audio feature continually on, and the way it would ferret out something good in-between the trash was amazing! I'd actually still have this unit, but I couldn't justify the expense, as I have extremely limited 'carpet of nails' type hunting spots. One of Garrett's best units in years, IMO, along with the AT Pro.

ATX - One of my many failed "experiments", lol. Saved for about 6 months for one, and finally pulled the trigger. Had visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, of pulling coins out at 2 feet on land. Well, didn't go so well. Used it 3 times, dug a SHITLOAD of deep iron and other trash, and decided a P.I. was NOT doable for my type of hunting spots. Away she went.

So...after all is said and done, I'm happily still swinging the Safari, and will probably move on up to an Etrac or CTX soon.

Joe
Holt s&@t Joe huge variety of detectors
detectors

I have used as a kid a radio shack el cheapo. Four years ago bought a used bounty hunter discovery 3300. Great machine has VDI , 3 pinpoint modes and found me some great relics

Currently useing a brand new T2SE. That was upgraded from the classic.  I upgraded due to me winning on a scratch ticket and got a great deal on the T2 , i wanted more depth and speed. Boy i got so much more than i wanted. 
 Great question Joe will be great hearing what has and is being usedYesYes
Started with a Radio shack cheapo that my wife bought me at a garage sale , got laughed at when I took it to the beach at Lake Michigan by a guy swinging a Minelab there ,but found enough clad to make back the 2 bucks she spent on it.
    A few years later a guy at work talked me into giving it another go and with a tight budget I bought a Bounty Hunter Pioneer and killed it in the yard of my house that has been here since before the Civil War.
   Upgraded to a Fisher F2 , it had pinpointing built in. I found my first gold ring with that machine ( returned it to the owner). Made a lot of great finds with this machine , my son uses it when he decides dirt fishing with the old man isn't beneath him.
   After finding enough to pay for that machine I upgraded to a Garrett AT Pro ( wish I would have started with this one). I have gotten to try water hunting with this machine as well as getting some finds that I probably would have passed over with the BH.
  Oh yeah when the AT Pro was new my "hammered" yard started producing again.
   Unfortunately work and the family and my Model A Ford hobby keep me busy enough that dirt fishing is only an occasional indulgence . 
   Maybe someday I'll try out a Minelab or the Deus ( the machine that is on my wish list at the moment). The wife thinks I have upgraded far enough , but every machine I have ever owned has found more than enough to pay for itself. I don't think I ever caught enough fish to pay for the boat and I don't think a Model A will make a profit for me.
   I measure the worth of a hobby by enjoyment , but dirt fishing can actually pay for itself....
(03-16-2016 04:15 PM)scott demont Wrote: [ -> ]Holt s&@t Joe huge variety of detectors

That's nothing, ask someone like Wayne (Michigan Relic Hunter) how many units he's used. I've seen guys that have tried/owned 50+ machines over the years.

(03-16-2016 04:27 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]   Maybe someday I'll try out a Minelab or the Deus ( the machine that is on my wish list at the moment). The wife thinks I have upgraded far enough , but every machine I have ever owned has found more than enough to pay for itself. I don't think I ever caught enough fish to pay for the boat and I don't think a Model A will make a profit for me.
   I measure the worth of a hobby by enjoyment , but dirt fishing can actually pay for itself....

Exactly. I don't do this for money. I do it for the action, the enjoyment, the relaxation. The payoff comes from the satisfaction we derive from the hobby.

Joe
I started with my 13 year old sisters bounty hunter junior. 2 weeks later I bought a bounty hunter pioneer 202. Two more weeks later I returned the pioneer and I bought a garret at pro because I felt like I was missing a lot of stuff and wanted a more advanced detector. I think I'll be sticking with the at pro for awhile as I'm really starting to learn and understand the unit and detecting. I'm satisfied!
I started out buying a $100 Bounty hunter 3300 for a family member. He was out of job, and I thought this would give him something to do and possible find enough change to buy a soda or a pack of cigarettes. Before giving it to him, I started using it around the house and I found myself enjoying it. I ended up keeping it and used it for about a year. I found my first Silver Merc with it and found few more Mercs. I still have the machine and I keep it for the grand kids to use, since it is a decent low budget machine.

Upgraded to modded White Classic, and used it off & on. I have noticed White's perform very well in Iron infested sites. (Possibly the best I have seen) After researching I decided to purchase a used CZ20 (Dual freq) this machine is known for superior depth and gave me the capability to water hunt too. I love this machine. It has proven itself in depth and target separation.

I kept hearing about the old Minelab Sovereigns being great. I decided to purchase a used Sovereign Elite. As some may know this machine was known for the Broad Band Spectrum (BBS) with 17 frequencies. When I first started using this machine I was not impressed, but read it takes awhile to learn. The over 100 sounds and pinpointing the target was huge. This combination almost had me selling this machine. I laid down the fisher while I gave this machine a fair chance to prove if it was worthy. After almost a year, I can honestly say it has shined on mineralized saltwater sands and water. It has squeaked out a few deep coins. It is a awesome machine.

Is it better than my CZ20? No, but it is equal. It really depend on multiple variables in environment.

I have two favorite machines my CZ20 & Sovereign Elite. I use them both on land and in the water. I frown a little when my Sovereign starts nulling out in iron infestation site. I frown when my CZ20 starts falsing when the surf washes over the coil. It clears once I submerge it. They are not perfect, but close.

I also picked up a legendary Whites 6000 DI Pro, modded it with a S handle. This machine has expressed me with the little time I have used it.

I remember when I was newer to the hobby it seemed like I found more, knowing less. I would dig any repeatable signal. I was pleasantly surprised lots of times. Then after buckets, buckets and trash cans of trash. I thought I would be more productive and enjoyable if I could dig less trash. That has a negative effect.

As most knows, when the target is at the machine 's limit it becomes a iffy. Then you need the experience of all the variables to dig or walk away. Plus the will power to dig deep, and accept it might be FREAKY Trash!

I do know location means most. If it is not there, you will not be able to find it and you won't know until you try and dig it all. lol.

Anyway, I'm a noob that enjoys the hobby. But I have put in a large amount of time and research to help speed me along. However, the lack of locations and trash takes a toll on me! I have my opinion on different topics within the hobby and strive for accuracy.

GL HH!
Started with Bounty Hunter lone star and got hooked,
I then moved to a Whites DFX with a DX1 probe.
Now swinging a Whites V3i , my son now swings the DFX.
Radio Shack as a kid

20 years later a buddy had a garrett 1500 so I bought one ( 2 months)

then ( in no particular order but kind of in order))

Minelab Sov, the the Sov XS pro with Sunray Meter and probe
Nautilus DMC2 and the DMC2b
Explorer XS
Explorer 2, Explorer SE Pro, E Trac (E2 is my favorite)
Fisher 1270
Tesoro Tejon
Whites MXT
Whites GM3
Whites GM4
Garrett 2500 (Also own the Ace 250 for the kids)
Tesoro Lobo ST
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Minelab GP Extreme
Minelab GP3500
Minelab GP4000
Minelab GPX5000
Xp Deus
AT Gold
AT Pro
Minelab CTX 3030 (main machine)

Still own: GPX5000, XP Deus, E2, AT Pro, Ace 250 and the CTX

What is the most important thing I have learned? -- Good Sites and knowing your machine -- regardless of what it is!! Yes, some are better than others but all will find stuff in the ground if it is there to be found. Some will do better in the iron etc but any machine can make the hobby enjoyable.
I've only had a few, as I got into the hobby, had my machine stolen then left the hobby. Got back into it ten years later in 2013.
First one (stolen) was a bounty hunter 2200
Next was an Ace 250
Minelab Etrac (main machine)
Whites Prizm 5g (won in a contest and sold)
Next step will be a Deus
Garett Freedom ACE - it took three nine volt batteries
Garett CX 2 - two coils - sniper and 8 inch
Whites big Box Specrtrum - large coil
Fisher CZ 7
Whites PI - water
Explorer II with after market coils
Backup Explorer II
Excalibur II -water -
I use the Explorer II's all of the time....
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's