Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Short hunt at local park
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know a 1920 Merc, is no big deal, but what makes this special is how I found it. 
I've been practicing Two Tone Ferrous on the Etrac, and went to a local park, hunted to death.  There is a particular area that is so filled with nails, no one ever bothers to look there anymore. Figure on 10 to 15 iron hits per pass.  Its where everyone lit their campfires and I suspect they burned a lot of old lumber with the nails still in it.  Anyway, I set up my machine and advanced about 3 yards when I heard something high mixed in with the iron.  Got the signal (broken, but there) in both directions with a "45" showing up for the conductive number at a depth of 6".  So, I dig the plug and find there are probably 5 broken rusty nail pieces that I pinpointed and removed from the hole until I got the dime signal.  I was REALLY surprised, but happy  the technique worked just like some say it does.  It gave me a lot of confidence in the technique and my machine.  Couldn't coax anymore out of the ground even after slowly hunting another hour, but I went home happy!   Coil used was the Detech 5"X 10" DD, which I think played a big part in separating the signals so I could hear the dime!
[attachment=8480]
Congrats on sniffing out the merc! My hunting partner has a extrac, and does well too. Finding any silver coin around here is a achievement in sandy Florida. Hope you continue finding them. Good luck!
The proof is in the pudding Knipper! Nice catch amongst all those iron minnows! I've heard that 2 tone ferrous works well under those conditions and you proved it yet again! Congrats!

Ed/ODF
Congrats twice; great technique and a great looking coin. I'm 99% certain I would have missed that one.
Patience pays off I guess.. Great looking merc knipper
Way to go, congratulations on that cool find!
The etrac is a killer in iron. I always hunted in TTF, but after a few shocking field tests, I migrated to 4TC. Great score on that sweet Merc!
Reference URL's