Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old park find
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Took a break today to do some metal detecting. I went to a very old park in a nearby little town that goes back to the 1850's. The park has been hunted to death, but I just wanted to get out of the shop for a while. Under a bush I got a signal and this turned up from about 6 inches deep. I don't know for certain what it is, but I believe it is a scarf slide. I think the scarf ends were pulled through the bar in the back and then out the bottom circular part. This would have kept the scarf in place and added some decoration. I'm guessing this goes back to the 1880's or 90's. It's not solid silver, but appears to be silver plated.  Nice ornate design!   Also found a 1919-D Merc, but I think I like the slide better!
[attachment=8503]
Who needs a Merc when you find something like that scarf slide!!! Great catch Knipper!!YesTongue

Ed
Great find man! Very unique and a great relic for sure! Congrats on the merc as wellYesYes best of luck next time you're out!
Zach
Wow Knipper great discovery.. That thing is great looking..  Plus a merc I say good hunt in a hunted out park
Way cool, congratulations!
That's an interesting find for sure, and I think your guess as to it's purpose is a pretty good one. Any time you find something that unique in a heavily hunted area, you're doing things right. Going back again?
Nice find, and good job finding it. I think your right on identifying item.
Reference URL's