Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: all this for a bad connector
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I couldn't figure why my right headlamp would flicker, go dim, go out altogether , or come back bright in no particular order over several days. Got to checking and found bulb and socket OK, and visible part of wire harness OK, so I started tracing for a fault somewhere. That somewhere was behind the grill and under the bumper fascia, and it was a harness connector that had been closed but not snapped  and  locked. The loose connector gave me varying degrees of connectivity according to how it bounced around, hence the funny conditions. All this came about after I totaled a big cow one night last year and had new front end put on. An old man on a pension has to do this work himself to save a little here and there.
I hate little crap like that which should have been taken care of properly from the get go. I'm the same way though. Except for major stuff like a complete brake job I do all the remaining little stuff to save money. My 1998 Ford F150 has 210,000 miles on it and it runs like a Deere! It ain't pretty anymore like it used to be but it gets me from point A to point B no problem. And it rides better than my wife's 1994 Prizm LS, which only has 108,000 on it and it's a flipping "Creampuff"!

My next project on the Blue Beast is a new internal control module, of course located behind the fuse panel "Under" the steering wheel. They don't make them anymore (GEM Module) so I'm going to have to go to "Pull Apart" and pull one from a like model with the same interior accessories.

I do a lot of work on my baby. That shot of her is when I still had the rack on for business back in 2010. There's some stuff I'd rather have somebody else do but I think it's safer that way.

Nice job figuring it out shade!

Ed
That little crap drives me crazy too. Glad you were able to get to the problem and correct it. In my case it was brake light bulb housing. Touch it and it would work close the trunk and it stopped. Bought a new socket and installed it myself, no big deal but they would charge you big money for tracing a short.

Blue Beast looks like it is doing fine for 210,000 miles, congratulations!
Similar problem here...

One of my headlight bulbs keeps becoming loose, and then goes out. I would tighten it, only to have it loosen again. I finally just left it that way, and no cops seemed to have an issue. That is, until the other night.

I just left the theater, since I took my son to the movies, and as I'm driving home, I see a copper start tailing me. He was behind my car for about a half mile, probably looking for something to nail me on, in order to meet his ticket quota.

I knew it was coming, and he finally launched his sirens, and I pulled over. He approaches my window and tells me he saw me put my seatbelt on while I was stopping (which was a lie). After pointing out that it's an automatic belt, which closes once the door is closed, he backtracked and said; "Oops, my mistake. It's a bit lower than usual, and I didn't see it." He then tells me one of my headlights is out (duh), and takes my credentials. I pointed out I just left the movies with my son, and even showed him a big bucket of leftover popcorn on the seat. Now...

IMO, a decent cop, seeing a father with a young son in the car, would do the right thing, since it isn't a major infraction, and maybe let a person off with a warning to get the light fixed. Nope, this douche cuts me a $55 ticket. Yes, under the letter of the law, I was at fault. But, under the spirit of the law, what a joke. I didn't argue with him though, as he was probably itching to get back on the road to bust some jaywalkers Tongue

Glad you got the issue remedied, Shade Yes

Joe
Damn, you hit a cow? Lol? That's not funny but that's intense if you mean like..a cow..mooo! Glad ya got it fixed though. Looks like a sweet ride though!
Ed ... You blocked out your license plate Sad..now I can't find you! Tongue
I guess we've all had to deal with these annoying problems with our cars. What bothers me most is that it's now so hard to work on stuff. Used to be you could pop the hood and see what was wrong, reach in and fix it, and be on your way. Now you have to take half the engine out just to get to the bad part.

Ed the Blue Beast is a Blue Beauty. You've done great at keeping her looking sharp.
And yes Zach, it was a big black heifer. Destroyed the whole front end- fenders, lights, grille, radiator, bumper and made hamburger out of the cow. Bad part was that when I called the farmer's insurance to ask them to pay for repairs, they told me that in Va. a farmer is not liable for damages if he was not negligent in maintaining fences. Of course his agent did his own investigation and said "no negligence" so I and my insurance company had to pay for repairs. Ouch!
Damn, that's cowshit. The cow should of had some insurance! Good thing ya got some burgers out of it Tongue
Wow Joe that's suc@ks, bunch of crap. Good thing you kept your cool.

That happened to me leaving the Holland tunnel. When I got out I said dam your right officer and hit the bulb with my hand, I started to laugh when it came on. He was cool and said papers are ok make sure you get it fixed. I was lucky that night.
I'm glad you weren't hurt when you hit the cow , that's a pretty massive animal to run into.
   It is great that you found that problem , my wife's van has a taillight that comes and goes , I've replaced the bulb and socket and checked the harnesses , it still has a mind of it's own.....
(07-04-2016 03:37 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, a decent cop, seeing a father with a young son in the car, would do the right thing, since it isn't a major infraction, and maybe let a person off with a warning to get the light fixed. Nope, this douche cuts me a $55 ticket. Yes, under the letter of the law, I was at fault. But, under the spirit of the law, what a joke. I didn't argue with him though, as he was probably itching to get back on the road to bust some jaywalkers Tongue

Kid in the car. The cop wasn't after you. He was after the example he set to your son. If your were alone, as good a talker as you are, you probably would have got off with a warning. Count on it. They're trained that way.

Ed
Reference URL's