Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Did ya miss me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cool hey there guys been kinda wrapped up with side jobs here at the camp. Doing a little dirt fishing here and there.  Most of my permissions are over grown and just starting to get hayed. 
  Yes been detecting here at camp and finding some old coins still nothing fancy but the goodies keep coming. At the farm in ashburnham the place Joe and I went gave me my first compass  not very old but cool to find 
 HappyTongue so the farm in Templeton is starting to be hayed and now I have all new places to swing the coil. Been working this spot it's about half a football field long and wide.  This area has given me a holed largie can't get a date but I know it's between 1839-1857 . I have also found the most coolest button so far this Massachusetts button from 1814-1820 I have seen then also when I google revelutionary war buttons.. Either way one of the best buttons so far.  
   Hope everyone is doing well and digging safely. Thanks for looking [attachment=8619][attachment=8620][attachment=8621][attachment=8622][attachment=8623][attachment=8624]
Excellent button!! That is a great find! And a holed largie! I don't know if you know why they are holed? But if this is your first "holed", then, "You are worth a red cent." It was an emblem of pride. From what I know, teen farmhands wore them to "Prove" they were worth a "red" cent. Or legend has it at least. A penny in those days was a lot of money and they usually took their first penny from their first pay and holed it. Especially a kid on a farm. They made it to the earning stage of their life. Makes you wonder now.

And yes, I missed you. If I were you I'd be lying on that hockey ice making ice angels! You're lucky to be up there on the North border. It's so bloody hot here I even said no to snorkeling some old swimming holes at the river. Stay cool my friend!

Ed
Sc-sc-sc-scottieeeee! Good to see ya around and glad to see you're still getting some nice finds. Really like the button! And nice largie and info on the large Ed. Someone told me on here that people nailed them to there door as well. The date the house was, was the date of the coin. Good stuff. Keep it up YesYes
Of course we missed you! Your finds are always great to see.
It seems like we are missing everyone lately , but if everyone else has the dry scorching heat we have I get why no one is getting their dirt fishing fix.
   I hope you get out some more so those of us who would have to use a jackhammer to dig a plug can get a fix by seeing your finds.
Pat
Miss you? Yes indeed! I had wondered why we weren't seeing old buttons and coins from your great permissions. But then many of the most prolific posters were having trouble getting out to hunt in the heat and dry conditions. Those were pretty neat finds and I enjoyed seeing them. Hope you and all the other hunters here can show us more goodies real soon. Stay cool!
(07-22-2016 10:32 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent button!! That is a great find! And a holed largie! I don't know if you know why they are holed? But if this is your first "holed", then, "You are worth a red cent." It was an emblem of pride. From what I know, teen farmhands wore them to "Prove" they were worth a "red" cent. Or legend has it at least. A penny in those days was a lot of money and they usually took their first penny from their first pay and holed it. Especially a kid on a farm. They made it to the earning stage of their life. Makes you wonder now.

And yes, I missed you. If I were you I'd be lying on that hockey ice making ice angels! You're lucky to be up there on the North border. It's so bloody hot here I even said no to snorkeling some old swimming holes at the river. Stay cool my friend!

Ed
Hi and thanks for the history lesson today Ed. From what I gather there is many reasons for a holed coin. I was told a holed coin could be because back then pants had no pockets and the hole was to tie a piece of thread to the coin and that's how they carried there change..  Like a make shift pocket..
(07-23-2016 09:07 AM)scott demont Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2016 10:32 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent button!! That is a great find! And a holed largie! I don't know if you know why they are holed? But if this is your first "holed", then, "You are worth a red cent." It was an emblem of pride. From what I know, teen farmhands wore them to "Prove" they were worth a "red" cent. Or legend has it at least. A penny in those days was a lot of money and they usually took their first penny from their first pay and holed it. Especially a kid on a farm. They made it to the earning stage of their life. Makes you wonder now.

Ed
Hi and thanks for the history lesson today Ed. From what I gather there is many reasons for a holed coin. I was told a holed coin could be because back then pants had no pockets and the hole was to tie a piece of thread to the coin and that's how they carried there change..  Like a make shift pocket..

Cool! Like Chinese coins! Thanks for that! And to the nail to the door thing as well from Zach!
Those are some cool finds Scot, congratulations!
One thing we all miss is the rain! Good luck out there -keep em coiming
Yes, we missed you a little bit. Happy Congrats on the nice finds. Wow holed Large cent and nice button. The compass, ring and watch is nice too.

Wonder why it's holed in that location? I don't have one to see if the words on the back would be upside down too. Anyway, doesn't matter it is a awesome find.(s)
Holy shit bro, that Massachusetts Militia button is killer!!!! What an incredible find. Way up there on the bucket list! The rest of the finds are stellar too, but that button tho!!
Reference URL's