Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Anyone get out today? Question about today's digging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to ask others if they were out today and how did I they find the detecting.

I am a coin shooter at heart, it's in my blood now and won't go away. Don't get me wrong I love finding silver and gold stuff too, no problem with that at all.

So I was out at a local park and targets were dead on and popping out of the soil. It did rain last night but I am feeling that the change in weather has plenty to do with conditions. It was very cool tonight (I am in New Jersey and close to NYC) and sun was setting and there was a good blow coming in from the north.
I was hitting coins like crazy - I didn't want to leave - even with the field lights glaring and folks training for soccer season.

Did anyone get out today and did they expierance hitting targets easier?
We are going on 5 weeks now with no rain. Ground conditions are horrible. I would do more harm than good by trying to dig just about anywhere. The kid lots are about the only thing available if I could manage  to get out at all. This is in Virginia by the way. And there is no rain in the forecast.  Glad you are able to hunt and find!
Shade, I understand totally. It was like that here so we finally got some rain and cool weather but I feel it won't last. The wind dries it out fast and no rain in forecast until the middle of next week.
I wasn't bragging in my post just happy to be able to dig some targets. I hit a coin spill of two quarters, three dimes, three nickels and one penny. My machine didn't know what it was - numbers were crazy and all bad - I said what the hell I might as well see what it is and got a cool surprise.
What little detecting time I have been able to steal has benn quite good on the clad here in SE Michigan , we have had a little rain and the cooler temps have helped here too.
   My pinpoints have been spot on and the VDI has been quite accurate. The weather is about to break to the bad side here though lows for the next few nights in the twenties , I am not looking forward to frozen ground or that nasty white precipitation that comes with it.
   I hope you get out a lot and enjoy the great conditions.
Pat
I hit a spot last Tuesday, and did pretty well, but overall, as you know, ground conditions are terrible in NJ now.

I'm mainly a deep coin hunter, and I need every edge I can get; all metal mode, damp soil, etc. If I lose any of those edges, the finds plummet, as most of the spots I hunt tends to give up silver in the 6+" range. There's some shallow oldies too, but they're the exceptions, far & few between.

To be candid, I do miss beach hunting terribly. Gold doesn't get me all hyped up like an old coin or relic does, as the history isn't there, but boy, I sure do miss seeing a gold ring or chain in my scoop. Like most, my time is limited. The best beaches are 3 hours round trip, plus the tolls, gas money, etc. So, I'm not able to hunt them on a regular basis.

I gotta make do with what I got Yes

Joe
Yeah guys - time gets more important as we get older. I have learned to be prepared and get out when I can. Even if it is just coin shooting - that helps me relax and feel good out and about parks or beaches.
Joe, I long for deeper targets and hope it will happen soon because the winter winds are getting ready to blow into good old NJ. In times like this I look for construction sites - last week I was at one but got a few wheats.
I got out today and had a good day for clad , no good jewelry but my buddy picked up a dink silver ring with some turquoise , very thin down in the zinc range on conductivity. Hit a courtyard of one of the older middle schools here built in 1958 , yeah that's right , older at 1958Happy. Veterans Day means no school here. Used the Deus in some intensely trashy raised landscaping beds that I'm sure the kids spend a lot of time bouncing around in. Carpeted in pull tabs and foil so I blew off most of the low conductive stuff until I take the CTX or etrac in there. Snagged about $12 -$13 clad and some junk jewelry , 30+ quarters , 50+dimes and a handful of copper pennies , gave up on the zincolns , just too many for a short hunt.
Unusual to find a spot that hasn't been swept for clad recently so there has to be more decent jewelry in there. Been a good month for that so far with three gold rings at different locations . I'll get another out of this place by Monday when the punks return.Yes
Tony, I went to read this yesterday and I did, but wasn't able to respond as I was packing and getting ready for vacation.
Your digging was enhanced by the rain, I've experienced it so many times, it's beautiful and try to get out when it's lightly raining or after a rain. I'd say it adds a couple inches of depth in my opinion rather then hard crusty dried up dirt.
Best of luck out there and happy hunting
I am glad you guys are getting out and doing stuff. Yeah, I agree that the rain is what we need but there was a post somewhere about detecting after sunset - it seemed to that person that the Sun's rays didn't interfere and he was getting more coins then normal - In my case when I posted this that was the time I was detecting and it was terrific - the altheltic field lights were on and there was plenty of folks on the other side so nobody was around. I'll have to try that spot again and see if it is still the case
Reference URL's