Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: You never know
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
]Went out scouting for a different place to detect. I remember that years ago there was a small playground with swings and an area of about 150x250 surrounded by houses built in the 1920's. I figured I'd give it a quick hunt to see if it was worthwhile coming back to. The area around the swings was littered with modern coins. I must have passed up 30 of them and dug some quarter signals just to see if they were quarters and they were. As I got further away from the swings it calmed down a lot and I started to find wheats. Then I got one of those beautiful 12-46,47 signals about 5 inches down. I couldn't believe it when I pulled out a 1913 Barber dime. A little later I got the button. I don't know if it's a military button or just a modern jacket button. I was in an area where there was a lot of fighting during the Revolutionary war but don't think it's that old. There is writing on the back but I can't make it out. Any ideas? Anyway I'll be taking Joe there soon and we'll see if there is anything else[attachment=9046][attachment=9047].
Gerry
Not sure how old the button is, but you should be able to get a fairly good idea based on the back mark. But I do know that's an exquisite looking barber Yes Beer
Man Gerry, that IS a nice looking Barber dime! Yes I love when you can see the wheat stalks on the reverse. Congrats! Good luck when you go out there next time. You might want to dig up some of that clad to get it out of the way. And do the perimeters as best you can up against any fences, if any.

Ed
Gerry I think you may be on to a sweet spot. Good luck to you and Joe when you get another chance at it. Congrats on the Barber; definitely a superior find. Took a quick look at a military button site and there is one that looks identical. It's listed as a general service button,  1902-present, which leaves a lot of room for age. No telling when it was lost.
What a great looking barber.  I guess if you don't find anything else there you know there is clad to dig.
   I am looking forward to seeing another post showing off more great finds from this site.
Pat
Gerry, good thinking and terrific finds, congratulations! Check Albert's button book for details on that button. You might be able to search internet some are online. I am not home so I am not able to look it up in the book
Thanks for the tips on the button. It does look like a general service button.
Gerry
It is a general service button, and from what shade said till present. I found the same one last weekish. Congrats on the finds.
Congratulations Gerry, on a great looking dime.
Congratulations on the beautiful barber dime. I have only found one, and it is in bad condition. Hope you find a lot more of those sweeties there. GL HH!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's