Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Hi, howdy, greetings, 'sup from California
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My name is Nia and I am a complete and total bumbling noob.

Heck, I am still researching what detector to buy. And I am desperately seeking a club or person(s) to help teach me the ropes.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, Contra Costa County where we actually have sunshine today.

I think I need to metal detect/treasure hunt because of my addiction to research and history. I love the thrill of the hunt for data and to ferret out missing pieces of information, so extending to something small that I can actually touch and carry seems logical.

And who doesn't like playing in the dirt? Come on!

Yep, I be a coin huntress. [Image: Detector.gif]

(At least I will be once I figure out what the heck I am doing.)

Also a shout out to Detecting Diva who pointed me here!
[Image: edit.gif]
Hi, Nia, thanks for joining our community. You chose an excellent hobby to get involved in, as it is like no other I know of, in terms of excitement, suspense, mystery, etc. But be forewarned, it can also be highly addictive, lol.

You happen to be in an excellent location, too, as there's a lot of history in your neck of the woods, from old parks within the city limits, the many ghost towns in the desert, and the mining camps of yesteryear, there's much opportunity to find coins and relics galore.

As for a detector, keep it simple, at least in the beginning. Buy the best machine you can afford (it needn't be expensive), a good digging aid like a lesche or quality garden trowel, and you pretty much have all you need to start your journey in the hobby. If funds permit, I'd also recommend a pinpointer, as they dramatically cut down on retrieval time of items, and save a lot of frustration. They can be had for about $70 or so, and I'd advise staying away from the cheaper ones, as they break very easily and get very little depth.

Most everyone starts off hunting in their local parks, the beaches or other easily accessible areas that are older in age. Just be sure to inquire about digging in any location, via the internet or by looking for signage when in the field, as some places don't permit it.

Detecting Diva's blog offers a ton of information, and I advise you check out many of her older blog entries, too.

There are a few members we have out in your area, and you may be able to get some more in-depth info from them that's more location specific to your area.

Final tip, just get out there and try it. Some that are newer to the hobby fret over which machine is the best, how they will find places to hunt, and a million other things. Buy the best machine you can (with headphones), a good digger, a pinpointer, and the rest will all work itself out.

Good luck, and feel free to pick our brains if you need assistance with anything. We look forward to seeing your first finds Happy

Joe
Welcome from Cleveland Ohio we are alittle frozen here so no detecting for us Happy but i'm really looking for ward to some global warming and an early start I already printed out the permit for Cleveland Metro Parks.
Welcome from SE Michigan . Joe gave you some excellent advice , I hope you can connect with someone in your area to help you out.
   There are a lot of friendly people here to help answer questions even if we are too far away to do it in person.
  I hope you get as much enjoyment from this hobby as I do. I know if you love doing research you have a great advantage in dirt fishing.
HH
Pat
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio Nia! The ground isn't frozen enough for me to get out but as luck would have it I haven't hit anything astounding to post! Once you get hooked on the hobby you'll be much like the rest of us, pining for the time that you can go detecting. You're very fortunate to be in CA as by March here I'm usually climbing the walls! Best of luck to you!

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher
Welcome to the forums. Hope you find a detector and enjoy the hobby. Good luck.
Hello Nia.  I'm happy you decided to join us. Hope you settle on a good detector soon and can get started in this great hobby. Joe gave some good advice and I would like to repeat his note to get the best that you can afford. In this hobby a beginner doesn't need the cream of the crop, but a certain amount of performance is essential. If you have specific questions ask away--someone will have the answers and will be glad to supply them. 
I like the picture of your smiling cat. Anyone who loves cats is OK with me. I have a new little kitty in the home and she smiles sweetly when she sleeps. Welcome from Virginia.
Welcome from south jersey! You'll have no problem starting up and becoming successful with the great group that's here at treasureclassifieds!
Can't wait to see your first finds and see what detector you end up with!
Reference URL's