Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Jackpot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Only one of my seated coins is a CC (Carson City). As many of you know, CC's are highly prized, and difficult to find. Well, this guy didn't find a CC coin, but something MUCH better. These things go for about $1,500 each, and they found about 200 or more of them. Notice how quick the Archeologist got his ass to the tearout site?! Chuckle

http://mcindependentnews.com/2016/12/coi...uncovered/
That sounds like a rags to riches to rags again story. Imagine finding so many rare and valuable artifacts, true numismatic treasures, and then not being able to keep them. And the bad part is that he had to do more digging with his own equipment only to see the state haul more away. There's no justice if the state didn't give him at least one as a "finder's fee" for being an honest man. If they didn't then I hope he and the crew pocketed a few.
I gotta agree with Shade , I hope they were at least well paid for helping the Archie's dig up those dies. I f I am ever in the area I hope I remember this story , I'd kind of like to see those dies in person....
Pat
Wow, that's crazy. Must be nice to find something like that. I wonder if anyone has found any dies metal detecting? I'm sure, or I'd imagine at one point.
Anyway, cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Unless something is worth a crapload of money, I'm not really big on selling my finds, and since I've never found anything of great, life changing value, none of my finds have ever been sold. They are worth more to me from a historical standpoint, and will serve as memories for me of this hobby in the future. But...

As far as coin dies go, they hold no interest for me. A coin, relic or similar piece I highly prize. If given the choice though, I would sell those dies in a HEARTBEAT. Especially for a $100,000+ score.

I too hope the contractor was taken care off, as he did the right thing and reported the discovery. But the way in which that Archie raced over there and took all of those dies just doesn't leave me with the impression that he was.
Reference URL's