Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: looking for wheats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I don't get to detect much now, I have done a little hunting at the bank. A couple of weeks ago just 6 penny rolls yielded 5 wheats, and then yesterday 10 rolls yielded a big fat 0. I was pleased with my first try and thought it might be worth doing more frequently, now I'm not so sure. Anybody have a rule of thumb for how often wheats can be found this way. Also I was wondering just how many wheats are in circulation ( I have seen some really high numbers), and does circulation mean readily available in the change system, or not just lost or melted down. As recently as a year or so ago I seemed to find wheats in my change fairly often, now I don't. I guess bank hunting is OK for amusement, but I'm thinking it's not what I want to do on a daily basis. If I were to get into searching bank rolls, what coin denomination, if any, would be the best bet for good finds?
I would say halves , looking for Kennedys both 90 and 40%.
Slower because of the date checking on the 40%ers but a payoff if you score.
Checking the edges should reveal the silver on the pre 64 halves.
Why wheaties?
They show up detecting all the time that are recent drops so there must still be a good number in circulation.
I see them in some coin stores where they are for sale on the counter for 3 or 4 cents to some sucker.
Finding ones with any numismatic value to speak of has to have odds like winning the lottery.
Best of luck Shade with the wheats! I've never tried it although I've watched a lot of guys on Youtube have some pretty good success with the big denomination rolls.

Ed
I am not much of a coin roll hunter , but I do know I find wheaties in my change every so often , much more so than silver coins. If you are just in it for finding something old at least you don't have to spend much to have a few rolls to look through.
   I've got to agree though the chances of finding anything with any significant value is pretty slim. If you are in it for the thrill of the hunt , like I am in detecting ( the next hole might have something cool in it) it sounds like a fun little hunting experience.
GL & HH
Pat
Shade, great idea, congratulations on the wheats. Don't get upset you shot a few blanks. Remember this - those are not dug coins they are clean.
Keep trying and mix it up with different banks and different types. Halves is a good idea to start with. You can also asked if the teller has any old coins.
They will gladly give them up if they are not already saving for someone.
I tried CRH a few years back, and went for the quarters. Not a single silver if I remember correctly. I heard halves can be better, but I have no idea if that's true or not. Between going to get the rolls, searching them, and then dumping them back, it proved quite a bit of legwork. If it paid off I would've surely done it again, but something about digging it excites me more. As far as wheats in circulation, just a guess, but it's gotta be hundreds of millions, if not billions. I'd like to know the answer though, as it's an interesting question.
Not sure how many of these were wheats, but I'm sure this cuts down the totals we're wondering about, lol. Good for this guy, screw'm where they breathe! http://nypost.com/2017/01/13/man-pays-in...k-pennies/
(01-13-2017 08:55 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how many of these were wheats, but I'm sure this cuts down the totals we're wondering about, lol. Good for this guy, screw'm where they breathe! http://nypost.com/2017/01/13/man-pays-in...k-pennies/

I saw this story on our local news , they said it took twelve hours to count them all , wouldn't that be a long day at work......I'd probably lose count part way through and have to start over.
Pat
I've been wanting to try this. I wouldn't mind doing pennies for the thrill of the hunt as its cheaper and just exciting, which is worth it to me if you have nothing else to do.
Sucks you didn't get anything time though. But it's a big hit and miss I believe.
As for what to get, I say halves as well. That's what I see all the big crh doing. Best of luck if you try it again!
This DMV story is a hoot!  Tried to post it earlier but had trouble with it, so I'm glad you made it available for us to read Joe. I was going to add that I fully sympathize with the man because in my 70 years, the only time I have wanted to crawl across a counter and strangle someone was at DMV. (several times too).
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's