Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Save a Rev war Site -- sign if you support this
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am on the fence with this one on 1 side you have a graveyard which I think should never be moved and on the other people need jobs I am pretty sure the war for Independence was for the very freedom to build what you want on land purchased and owned by you. Often I see groups form and find the smallest things to stop development but before the land was purchased by a company or person they could of cared less. The land was known for the longest time to be what it was why then was it not made a protected park within the last 200 years? Learn from the past but work towards the future. Oh and I love pancakes even if its a pain in the butt to get parking at the place because its always packed. You saved a small plot of dirt but stopped 20-30 jobs that could help people make life better for their family. Take pictures write stories but let the living be slightly more important then famous dead people. Just my 2 cents even if it is zincs.
Another freethinking individualist , welcome to party CladYes
It doesn't have a thing to do with history , Joe , any more than Obama's naming millions of acres in the West into monument status to "protect" miniscule and common geological features has to do with preserving natural history. History is the past , not the future. It has been cataloged , noted , commemorated and preserved already with the establishment of the burial grounds and the Van Wyck(sp) Museum. If you go to google maps (intersection of I-84 and State Road 9 you can even see the commemorative headstone and marker there). In addition , if you go down the ramp a bit you can see the old "For Sale" where the Friends of Fishkill could have bought the 8 acres back in 2012 but could only raise $24,600 to do it with. That's right , 8 out of the remaining 70 acres , that now belong to the owner/developer , one Dominic Broccolli , whose name is public record and easily found. So who is the Friends of Fishkill?

No public names for that one just a 501c3 (tax exempt) organization which has at it's heart the Van Wyck Museum. However , if you scan out to the East you will see a Willow Lake surrounded by "vacation homes" and my guess is those are the members of the "Friends of Fishkill" and I am sure not a single one of them had an archeologist come in and do a survey on their property before they built their lakeside homes in the same area with their swimming pools and tennis courts. Which brings us to the bigger point that the area in question has already been twice (thrice depending on what you read) examined by archies and determined to have little if any historical significance, which leads us further to the predominant reason for the petition and obstructionism according to their own complaints,,,increased traffic , not historical preservation!!! They want to stop this to stop traffic on Snook Rd!!!

Actually this petition may serve a good purpose , IMO. Someone will send the review board a link to this thread (or one of a dozen other generated by the internet) in an e-mail and they will easily determine that number of valid signatures is quite small and the petitions validity will be seriously undermined by the obvious knowledge that a great number of the signees have no real involvement in the matter or a stake in it's outcome other than an emotional response or a desire to be part of a group who supports and agenda of obstructionism without considering the facts.

Another example of social media and the power of the internet run amuck
The last thing this country needs is another IHOP or Starbucks. I've been in sales for many years, so I understand capitalism quite well, and have zero problems with it. The nation was built upon it. But I'm not a fan of urbanization at all costs, and I believe the crass redevelopment of what was once a nation teeming with mom & pop businesses of every stripe, is a shame. How many malls do we need? Should a guy who's owned a hardware store for 40 years be driven out of business because he cannot compete with the buying power of a Lowe's or Home Depot? I'd gladly pay an extra $10 for a drill if it means supporting someone in my community.

Everything is bigger nowadays. And it's starting to kill this country. Which is one of the reasons the tiny house movement is taking place. People are finally realizing that less is more. It provides freedom, and a simpler way of life. That's the direction we should be headed in.

I'm all for progress, but at what price does it come at? We're all just pissing in the wind with this thread anyway, as if IHOP wants to open up its 4,386th location, money talks, so it'll get done no matter what.
I am not sure how we got on the mom and pop store issue but life must advance when I was a kid everything seemed closed on Sunday now its a normal day. Mom and pop stores were needed in the 30's to 50's but as transportation became more accessible a larger more central place to purchase goods was a far better idea they could purchase in bulk and lower the over all cost to the consumer. Your sacrifice of 10.00 extra is commendable but to someone living paycheck to paycheck that 10.00 walmart or target saves them gets them back and forth to work or go's towards more food for the family. I wonder if a Mom and Pop store sold outdated metal detectors would you not go get the latest and best model from a bigger store? Of course not you would make do with a outdated discontinued metal detector so that Mom and Pop store could keep selling them. Just my 2 cents even if they are Zinc!
(01-21-2017 07:52 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure how we got on the mom and pop store issue but life must advance when I was a kid everything seemed closed on Sunday now its a normal day. Mom and pop stores were needed in the 30's to 50's but as transportation became more accessible a larger more central place to purchase goods was a far better idea they could purchase in bulk and lower the over all cost to the consumer. Your sacrifice of 10.00 extra is commendable but to someone living paycheck to paycheck that 10.00 walmart or target saves them gets them back and forth to work or go's towards more food for the family. I wonder if a Mom and Pop store sold outdated metal detectors would you not go get the latest and best model from a bigger store? Of course not you would make do with a outdated discontinued metal detector so that Mom and Pop store could keep selling them. Just my 2 cents even if they are Zinc!

Dennis, if you believe an IHOP serves as a benefit to a community, and adds to the fabric of a neighborhood, more power to you. I don’t. As I said in my previous post, generally speaking, I’m not a fan of urbanization. Maybe I’m a bit of an old soul, who prefers simpler times.

About 3 or 4 years ago a nearby town wanted to rip up a park to make way for a Best Buy. The park was there for about 70 years or so. Wasn’t designated historical or anything, but it was a source of pride in the community, and served as a nice recreational area for the residents. People protested, council meetings were held, and many petitions were signed in opposition to the project. Yet, big money won out, and there is now a Best Buy sitting over the property, along with a huge parking lot, warehouse, etc. All so someone can go buy a flat screen t.v. or ipad. If this is what you’d call “progress”, count me out.

The primary reason people use a mom & pop store is because the experience is better; the products, the customer service, etc. Even if that means having to pay a little extra. Real Italian food cannot be had in an Olive Garden. The best hamburgers are not being put out by McDonald's. And yes, even when it comes to buying my metal detectors, I choose to deal with smaller businesses. If you'd like the name of the dealer I usually purchase from, just send me a PM. If quality is sacrificed, of course I'm not going to deal with a mom & pop. But I can assure you, the lack of quality is mostly associated with the big box stores, which you're obviously a fan of.
How about this weather gentlemen? Pretty crazy, huh?
Oh, btw, sign Ron's petition if you'd like, and If not, all is good homies. Pce out home slices!
Preferably from a local pizzeria, not little Caesars. Yuck.
BeerHeartBeerHeart
I am a fan of getting the most for the money I work for and I'm sure the park was great to have and the upkeep of the park employed about 10 people The Best buy employed 40-50. When i want a burger I go to the place I can afford if I want a good one I go to a sit down place if I want a quick burger between site hopping I hit BK or McDonalds or Rallys. The Quality of Mom and Pop stores and brands are the same I can stop in one with Dust all over the canned foods or head to Giant Eagle for half the price and get something alittle newer without the dust. Wanting to live in the past is great but we as a country just don't go backwards. Btw the weather was great this weekend and this is not an argument as much as it is a discussion Zach Happy Just my 2 cents even if they are Zinc!
(01-22-2017 06:31 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]I am a fan of getting the most for the money I work for and I'm sure the park was great to have and the upkeep of the park employed about 10 people The Best buy employed 40-50. When i want a burger I go to the place I can afford if I want a good one I go to a sit down place if I want a quick burger between site hopping I hit BK or McDonalds or Rallys. The Quality of Mom and Pop stores and brands are the same I can stop in one with Dust all over the canned foods or head to Giant Eagle for half the price and get something alittle newer without the dust. Wanting to live in the past is great but we as a country just don't go backwards. Btw the weather was great this weekend and this is not an argument as much as it is a discussion Zach Happy Just my 2 cents even if they are Zinc!
YesYes
I agree, it's not an argument, it's a discussion. And I give you & Dusty credit for voicing opinions that might be construed as against the grain. Others would sulk and remain quiet, but what's the use of having an open, free spirited forum then? While I obviously don't agree with your opinions, I can at least respect them Yes

"Dusty cans"? Lol. I vote for Dusty to officially make that his new forum name from here on out Chuckle
I agree completely Joe , except on the new forum name. I have no problem accepting that the power of desiring inclusion and the internet can get people to sometimes make unwise and untimely decisions Happy As I said earlier , the petition will have no merit and that will be recognized by the review board when they see addresses that are thousands of miles from the site. It's a form of abuse of being able to touch millions of people , kind of like that guy a while back who joined here and posted how he had started a Go Fund Me account for $500 so he could buy a new laptop!! What a dip$hit.

I don't care if they increase traffic with an Ihop or not because my cattle aren't grazing in that pasture but I do care about preserving property rights.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's