Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Using a drone to map out a homesite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We gave my son a drone for Christmas and it serves a dual purpose, fun for him and a research tool for me lol. By hovering 100 feet over the homesite, you can get a clear picture of the layout of the land. Sideroads and paths are clear, even the privy is noticeable as an obvious dent in the ground. The video shows it very well, but I'll just post a pic for now. This thing is going to come in handy!!!
Very nice! I'm sure it's gonna help a ton! Best of luck with it and look foward to some finds posts!
Thanks Zach! I look forward to making some finds to post lol. Pretty frozen right now
Cool Idea I have a drone sitting around I got upset trying to fly it in the house kept crashing it now i'm thinking of taking it to a wide open park I may fair better Happy I don't think it will do pics as good. That is a great idea to see patterns in the layout of a house or a foundation from a birds eye view.
Excellent! What brand is it? I'm seriously considering buying one. Not for detecting purposes (though I might try it), but more for fun. Get this...

I was flipping through the sports channels a couple weeks back, and I spotted something called DRL (Drone Racing League). Seems they have all types of leagues now with sponsorships, spokespeople, announcers, etc. I guess it's blowing up like televised poker did 10 years ago. Anywho...

They had these tubes laid out in a big factory. The tubes looked like those pool noodles and they were bent, making arches. And they glowed in the dark. Once the race began, all of the drone operators were huddled together in a different room wearing virtual reality headsets, and they had to each fly their drones through the obstacle course to win. It was wild. I always see these young guys doing the same thing in the park by me. They sit on lawn chairs and race them through obstacles they set up. Crazy stuff.
That's crazy Joe! They aren't the easiest things to control. My sons is a Parrot Bebop. Personally, if I were to drop the cash on one, I think I would go with the DJI Phantom 3. The 4 is amazing but very pricey. There's another brand out there...the name left me, but it's under a grand and seems to be every bit as good as the Phantom 4, for half the cost. I've flown his Parrot bebop a few times, and it's not too bad. It has some issues but I think it has a lot to do with the app.
You had to see how fast these things were flying through the obstacle course, R.M. Lightening speed! And if a group of them crashed, or hit the obstacles and fell to the ground, they were eliminated. Just like anything else, I'm sure those guys practice for HOURS every day. Parrot would be more my speed. Just to screw around and have fun. There was a guy here a few weeks ago who had over $30,000 worth of drone equipment. I was picking his brain and was fascinated by what his gear could do. WAY outside of my comfort zone though, lol. I just need something simple to spy on the girls that sunbathe nude in their backyards, nothing more Chuckle
Nice pic and read Medic. There have been a lot of very interesting posts here in last few weeks about drones and their application for MDing. Good luck with yours. Do you and your son have a time share deal?
Now why didn't I think of that? I have a drone that I bought to goof off with the kids (we used it 4 or 5 times). It is a cheapy , but light enough that it does not have to be registered.
     Maybe it will come off the shelf , if all else fails at least it will get some use. You would think I would have thought of this when a buddy barrowed it to inspect his roof.
   Thanks for the great idea , and the picture really brought it home how handy that could be. That site looks like it will be a good one.
Pat
(01-23-2017 01:00 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Nice pic and read Medic. There have been a lot of very interesting posts here in last few weeks about drones and their application for MDing. Good luck with yours. Do you and your son have a time share deal?

No my son is 14 and I was just happy to get him out of the house and off the xbox for an hour lol. I just thought it would be fun to go to a house I know about that's about 5 minutes from home, to play around.

(01-23-2017 08:48 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]Now why didn't I think of that? I have a drone that I bought to goof off with the kids (we used it 4 or 5 times). It is a cheapy , but light enough that it does not have to be registered.
     Maybe it will come off the shelf , if all else fails at least it will get some use. You would think I would have thought of this when a buddy barrowed it to inspect his roof.
   Thanks for the great idea , and the picture really brought it home how handy that could be. That site looks like it will be a good one.
Pat

I think it could be a valuable tool for our hobby. I have been eyeballing a couple of sites that SHOULD have a cellar hole or two on them, but there's lots of ground to cover. The drone should make it alot easier...and more fun ! ThE site in the picture has produced some cool finds, including a Victorian hypodermic needle kit, guide badge, a big heavy silver bracelet and numerous coins.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's