Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I need help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this doesn’t have anything to do with metal detecting but it is kind of show and tell. My aunt and uncle have passed my cousins auctioned off their estate. Today at the auction I purchased this Indian artifact. I know he had it at least since the 80’s but know nothing else about it or where I should even start to find out about it. So...... I started here with you guys. I looked at a few artifact forums and didn’t really like the way they treated people asking questions.
OTH. I sent these pics to my brother who is an arrowhead collector and is aligned with several Ohio based Native American relic groups. If he has any answers I'll post!

Ed
(03-03-2018 11:25 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]OTH. I sent these pics to my brother who is an arrowhead collector and is aligned with several Ohio based Native American relic groups. If he has any answers I'll post!

Ed

Thanks very much!! That would be great.
Looks like you have a very fine full grooved polished axe. I've seen many in my lifetime, but the added cross grooves on the top are rare. Looks like granite and it would have been pecked into shape with a hammer stone, then polished with sandstone and finer sand to a very smooth finish. Grooved axes are generally associated with the archaic period, but can be later depending on locale. Yours is a beauty and very old. Waiting to hear Ed's brother's assessment.
Shade, thanks for that info. I knew NONE of that! I didn’t know the natives polished their tools. Our area is rich with Indian arrowheads. As a matter of fact, from the auction site, I could see across the corn field to a neighbor’s house and see the Indian burial mound in their yard.
I forgot what they're called but they were used for planting/framing practice (like we use a modern day hoe).
OTH, I got a response from:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/11206797...oup_header

(via my brother)

One fella said that it is Celtic and what he calls a head basher and I guess you could say Mace head. Another fella wants to buy them, but that immediately references the true value. So it's a good bet to hold onto it. Is there any other provenance associated with it? I had thought some sort of weapon. Did a little research and really haven't narrowed it down. Found a few that were close but each type was unique from others because of the personality that made them. Those of that pedigree are very, very old. Although Shade has a point about ax head as well. Someone from the university (OSU, OU) paleolithic archaeology department could be of help I'm certain. You could probably email them a pic.

Hope this sheds some light on it.

Ed
Thanks Ed.
I did go to the link and one guy said he’s never seen one like it so it’s modern. A couple guys said modern. One of the reason I never posted to a artifact forum is it seemed if someone other than the core members posted something, a bunch of them would claim “fake” I guess I need to get it authenticated so I’ll know for sure when I hand it down to my boy!
That's it

they're called "Celts" --- not "celtics"

they were used similar to axes, or hammers, and farming implements (ie) to dredge rows to plant corn/etc.

I'm sure they could be used as a "head basher" and probably were on occasion but 1st and foremost they're a tool.
(03-05-2018 11:39 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]That's it

they're called "Celts" --- not "celtics"

they were used similar to axes, or hammers, and farming implements (ie) to dredge rows to plant corn/etc.

I'm sure they could be used as a "head basher" and probably were on occasion but 1st and foremost they're a tool.

Thanks MRH! The fella at the site called it a Celts. I assumed Celtic. First three letters got to me again. So are they a native american artifact?

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's