Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: AT Pro Worth It?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive olny ever used two detectors in my life. One was a Canadian Tire 15$ detector with a 2 inch by 2 inch coil and my Fisher 1212-X. My fisher has been great and has found me some good stuff but its just not a detector that you can really get the most stuff out of the dirt with. The cord has been chewed by the puppy multiple times and fixed with electrical tape, the box is held on with tape and super glue and the coil case is going to crack any day now. It is time to upgrade. I am leaning towards an AT Pro just because i have heard alot of good things about it and it seems like a reliable good detector. I love how it is water proof too. Anyways my questions for you guys are: Anything i should know about AT Pros that may make me reconsider? How do you like your AT Pro? and If i buy an AT Pro will that be good enough for a long while or would i have to upgrade yet again? Thanks for the answers in advance!
IMO, the AT Pro is the best thing Garrett has done in years. It's a very capable unit, however, there's many other things to consider...

For instance, in my area of the northeast, the dirt is terrible, very mineralized. As a depth machine, the AT just wouldn't work as well here. That's one thing. Next...

Do you have a lot of iron at your sites? If so, the AT will work, but, there are better units for hunting in heavy iron. Finally...

Are you planning on doing any beach hunting? If so, the AT's are really fresh water detectors, not saltwater.

To answer your question in a more simple way...

Yes, the AT is a solid 'all around' unit. However, if you're putting it to use for a specific type of hunting most of the time, I'd say there are better avenues to pursue. 

Joe
Joe is correct. 

I currently use the AT Pro.  I absolutely love it.  But I live in more of a dry climate so I'm not constantly ground balancing. 
I did use a fisher F75 which I also loved. However, I was always messing around with one thing or another trying to dial it in.  
The AT Pro is an inexpensive (comparatively) option. 

So it honestly depends on a few different things. 

1. Budget
2. Region (high mineralization or low)
3. What type of detecting? 

I believe a lot of people buy detectors because so and so uses them.  If you have the opportunity, borrow someone's machine and see IF YOU LIKE IT.
Then decide.
Right on, SLC Yes You know...

I've said this many, many times, but, it's worth repeating...

MOST of what this hobby comes down to is location. Searching out good spots (never previously detected, or, very little) that have the highest probability of finding what one seeks (coins, relics, jewelry) is 90% of the game. And let's face it, at places like the above, you can use virtually ANY machine, and it'll find the good stuff. However...

Those types of spots are becoming tougher & tougher to find nowadays. So, IMO, having the RIGHT unit, for YOUR specific hunting needs, based on the dirt where YOU live is of the utmost importance. Further...

Take 2 hunters. Both are equally adept at detecting. Both are hunting the same good spot. What will be the deciding factor on who finds more/better stuff? Equipment. Now...

Obviously luck (whomever swings their coil over the prize first gets it) plays a hand. As does state of mind; being positive, carefree, in the zone, etc. The MAIN deciding factor though, when all else is equal, is equipment choice.

We all have our opinions, and that's mine. Worth about the same as a bag of chips, but, I'm sticking to it Tongue

Joe
I know alot of people love the AT Pro. I've never used one. Like the other guys said, the best detector sepends on the type of hunting you do. If you are budget minded you can find good deals on used detectors too. For example. I have a T2 and an M6 that both came with two coils each and if you add the total cost I paid less than $800 for the both of them. Take your time and do some research to see which detector would fit you best. Meanwhile slap some duct tape on that 1212 and keep swinging.
Great detector,maybe the best bang for your buck out there. Only negative to me is its a little nose heavy...makes it little awkward to swing all day..and my biggest gripe..DAM COIL CONNECTION TO BOX SUCKS!!! Works great in iron,gets respectable depth,very accurate id, sweet high tone on silver. You wont regret it. Ray
(03-28-2014 10:35 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Great detector,maybe the best bang for your buck out there. Only negative to me is its a little nose heavy...makes it little awkward to swing all day..and my biggest gripe..DAM COIL CONNECTION TO BOX SUCKS!!! Works great in iron,gets respectable depth,very accurate id, sweet high tone on silver. You wont regret it. Ray

Great bang for the buck? Check

Works great in iron? Check

Respectable depth? X

Accurate ID? X

Ray, like I said above, best thing Garrett has done in years...although that ain't saying much, lol. You know I have the Gold. Which is more or less the same as the Pro. Here's the thing...

In my mineralized soil, ain't NO WAY I'd call it respectable depth. FBS rules around here, as it's really the best solution to punch through our soil. In terms of accurate target ID, again, IN MY DIRT, fell flat on its face. Anything deeper than a few inches & the VDI just wouldn't lock on...even within a loose window. Real jumpy.

That's why hunters have to know the conditions in their area. Heck, down in the Sunshine state where the soil is basically like sand, you could probably get down a foot with an Ace 250. Try doing that around here, or in a red clay type of situation.

To be sure, as a general, all-purpose machine, it'll more than get the job done, however, as a depth demon unit or beach machine? No way.

You know I love you brother (no gay), but, you'd have that thing wrapped around a tree in about 15 minutes out of frustration if you tried to use it here Happy

Joe
Joe, the gold comes with the small coil....With the pros stock 8x11 I can easily dig 6-7 inch coins. Remember,I said respectable...not exceptional. I stand by accurate i.d. too...but face it,nothing compares to a minelab...and in my oponion, bbs with sunray meter is more accurate than the explorer. Later,Ray
I've had my AT Pro since December!  Great machine, love it!!
Jumping from the Ace 250 was easy...BUT, with a slight tennis-elbow, I've had some really bad pain after swingin' the thing for 6-8 hrs........guess in time I'll look like those joke pics/vids of guys without girlfriends or wives!!!Tongue
Reference URL's