Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Do You Cherry Pick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I usually hunt wide open and ignore Iron and crap just looking for a solid repeatable hit in a good range, but sometimes it gets to me and I cherry pick a while.  I am doing some silver only in some places where I really expect to find some hiding in the crowd.
As a general rule (excluding the beach) I only dig signals above 50 on the AT PRO. If I get a good feeling I will go back over the land and maybe drop to 35. I like to establish whats beeping before I committ to craters.. Many a good signal many a horse shoe.. Saying that though once cleaned up horse shoes sell for about £10.. sprayed gold I get £15.
I've read this thread a few times and realized I do cherry pick 60% of the time.  Every time I go out, the first part of the day I dig everything.  Towards the end, 70 and above signals on the AT Pro are dug.  

However, when relic hunting, I dig every shotgun shell, 22 shell and every piece of wire.  There are many iron relics out there.  Hand forged horse/mule shoes, bayonet pieces, etc.
If a  new spot opens up for me  I will  cherry  pick  . If I am able to hunt it for a few trips or indefinitely I will  eventually dig all signals . There hasn't been any new opportunities  opening up lately so I have  been digging everything at my old sites .
 On shopping trips or errands  I will  scout my nearby  old haunts to see if any  dirt  is being moved around . As far as  Silver coins  go I've only  found one so far this year  a nice  1935  Merc from a School built in 1936 . Everything around here  has been pounded  for years .Only a couple of  wood chips tot lots left  here locally . They  have almost all been replaced by ones with those  stupid  rubber  mats .Nowadays
I don't get much of an opportunity to cherry  pick and even  zincs and  junk are  getting  scarce .This sometimes  causes me to not to even go out as much . I've got a spot I've been  keeping my eye  out on  that may be huntable in the  near future  , I sure  hope it pans out . It's small and there wont be much there so I will be digging every signal .
I almost always cherry pick due to my limited time. I usually detect the beach every weekday morning for about 45 minutes before work with the a SovGT and dig all good tones in disc mode. On the rare occasion that I get a few minutes after work to hit one of the parks on the way home, I usually will dig any nickel/gold and upper scale numbers/tones with whatever inland detector I happen to have in my truck at that particular time. Once in a great while, I can allot a block of a few hours to detect and then I will dig outside of my little cherry pickin zones or experiment with alternate settings or learn a new detector etc..
Great opinions & strategies, so far! Amazing how we all approach things so differently, yet are each successful in terms of our finds. Keep'm coming Yes

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's