Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Couldn't Help Myself--Just Needed A New Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So will we see a line of Sven TreasureLinx detectors in a year or so? I would consider one of those , although I started out with modern detectors and would have a steep learning curve.
  Thanks for sharing your latest project.
Pat
I'm down with the line of Treasure linx detectors! I'm sure quite a few of us would save some $$$ to get one. Would be pretty awesome! Hope things go better with the new boards, I'm sure this time around you'll get it complete. Look foward to it! Enjoy!YesYes
Sven, I know nothing about this stuff, but why are the standard detector circuit boards so large? Are they even needed anymore? How does something like the Deus operate everything within that little receiver box? Is there a board in there? Why couldn't other manufacturers come up with a similar get-up?

I ask this because certain manufacturers like Whites up until recently still had those giant control boxes. They're great from durability standpoint, but everything is getting smaller nowadays, and was wondering why the boards looked so large.

Smart phones are pretty powerful mini computers, and the boards in those are tiny, so I don't get it. Couldn't a detector operate with similar circuitry?
Every electronics device has a circuit board.
I would venture to say, a human cannot solder the parts in a cellphone, way, way too small. It's all done by robots.
A dime is about 18mm (1.8CM), you can get an idea of how small the parts are. Look at the smallest one pictured.
[attachment=9314]

If a device with such small parts goes bad, it gets replaced with a new circuit board.
A circuit board that is larger with standard size parts can be fixed by a human.
Humans still build White's detectors as well as many others.
Big boxes have the room for wires, connectors, control pots, mechanical parts that can be replaced.

A modern small box detectors again have modules sections that could be replaced--LED faceplate with push buttons.
Too difficult to replace a single part on the module.

Some companies don't have the $$$ to invest in micro electronics. Probably one day they will all be cellphone size and you'll be able to text your friends on them about your find(s).  Modern day kids growing up with cellphones, mp3 players won't want to lug around a big box detector. It will have to be small.  I can see then issue being of balance, coil being heavier than everything else if epoxy filled. Coil heavy situation.
That's why I give credit to XP. Not only is the Deus a great detector, but what they were able to do design-wise as a smaller, upstart company by packing all of the electronics in that little control housing is simply astounding. Outside of the box thinking, I guess, as the U.S. manufacturers probably have a lot more money than them.

My dream would be a Minelab in the same body style and weight as an Omega. And I've heard countless others ask for the same over the years. Don't know why they can't do it.
Good luck with the new boards Sven. Hope to see your finished product soon. All the tech stuff is beyond me but I really liked your pic and explanation of the small scale involved. You may have dealt with this before before I joined here, but I'd be interested in learning about your technical background. You sure know your way around electronics.
Sven, I was wondering this, today...

Why can't detectors be recharged in some way, like cell phones are? If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a detector out there if I'm correct that can be powered up this way? Could have swore I saw a unit that was capable of this, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I keep going back to the phone thing because, the average smart phone of today has more computing power than those big mainframes of 30 or 40 years ago. I just don't see why they cannot shrink the electronics in detectors like phones, making them smaller and lighter.

The chip/board in the Deus must be incredibly small...and expensive, yes?
Good luck, I hope you get your parts and gets it going soon
(01-23-2017 05:43 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Sven, I was wondering this, today...

Why can't detectors be recharged in some way, like cell phones are? If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a detector out there if I'm correct that can be powered up this way? Could have swore I saw a unit that was capable of this, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I keep going back to the phone thing because, the average smart phone of today has more computing power than those big mainframes of 30 or 40 years ago. I just don't see why they cannot shrink the electronics in detectors like phones, making them smaller and lighter.

The chip/board in the Deus must be incredibly small...and expensive, yes?

The Deteknix Quest Pro has an internal rechargeable battery.

[attachment=9397]

(01-23-2017 06:20 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck, I hope you get your parts and gets it going soon

Parts are all here, just waiting for a free weekend. It's been chaotic here for the past month, something always seemed to crop up.
Didn't know that about the Detekinix, Sven...very cool! Can the detector be operated just on that internal charger, or is it only for backup purposes, and really needs batteries to run?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's