Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Conductivity Chart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got this off the web somewhere.
It makes a good guide to show you where gold rings on a scale along with other similar conductive targets.
[attachment=8983]
What a lesson to be learned! Every time I see something like this I wonder how many rings I left behind in my first experiences in MDing. It was so easy to block out pull tabs (that were EVERYWHERE in those days) and look only for silver coins, which were extremely plentiful, and what I wanted to find. I scored big on silvers, but I'm sure now that I missed some real treasures in gold. Trouble is I can't go back because most of my best spots were in the old state parks that are now absolutely off limits. Thanks for the picture graphic Sven.
That's a GREAT scale, Sven Yes But seeing it kind of depresses me, as it just drives home the fact of how much gold I've probably walked over when turf hunting Chuckle Mostly due to laziness, in not wanting to spend countless hours digging heaps of junk. But as the chart shows, there is a good reason I cherry pick when land hunting. As it illustrates, gold can fall almost anywhere on the VDI scale, depending on weight, size, shape, etc. So, if one really wants gold when turf hunting, one must really dig almost everything above iron. That takes added time, discipline, and a LOT of bending. All of which I'm not shy to admit, I'm not too keen on when out hunting.

The smarter, more disciplined turf hunters (not me), will find their fair share of yellow over time. Digging it all surely pays off, but it also has to be enjoyable. And my hunts are as much about unwinding & relaxing, as it is about finding something cool. So, I'll usually dig the low/medium tones for for a short bit, and once the irritation starts to kick in, I go into cherrypicking mode.

Joe
Very good info! As I never really use any discrimation but I tend to be a cherry picker. 40 on the at pro is a hot rock. I usually never dig under 40, ever. Mid 40s can be small tombacs which I rarely dig because it's usually trash. 53(nickle) and plus is what I usually dig if it's a solid repeatable signal. 60-99 I usually always dig and investigate. I should probably start digging more low numbers. Maybe I've passed up some gold or tombacs or cool relics. But the fields are different and usually offer different objects, but owell. I'm still going to try to dig more and see what happens, I think it will pay off instead of passing it by.
Thanks again and gl and HH
Zach
Dig the junk to find the gold.
[attachment=8999]

Then go back over the area in a week or two to see if any of it masked the good stuff

[attachment=9000]
Sven, I know you have success removing the junk and finding gold. You definitely deserve ever gram you found. Wow, gold falls in ever category of the scales. Thank you for posting it gives a nice wake up call and will help clean the world!
It all comes down to patience, Sven, which you obviously have much more of than I.

I only have the luxury of hunting 2 to 3 times per week, for maybe 4 or 5 hours per hunt. While this might sound like a lot, it really isn't, and the time seems to fly by. So, my modus operandi when hunting the turf is to maximize my time by not digging most low or medium tones (aside from deep nickel signals). This gets me the silver I'm primarily after, but yes, I do lose out on the chance of finding gold.

If I'm on the beach, it's the opposite strategy. I will tend to dig mostly everything above iron, but the low/medium tones obviously take precedence over the high tones, since I'm mostly after the gold.

Believe me, if anyone finds gold when turf hunting, and has the fortitude & patience to dig through thousands of junk items to find it, I tip my hat to them. They deserve it Beer
On the Makro Racer it seems gold is 40+ and usualy solid vdi within 1 number either way I dig any and all signals like that but that darn can slaw is 50 just like a 14k ring Happy ty for the post.
Sven, that is a good chart - next time add in the ferrous numbers because they help when digging for gold. On the Minelab there are different screens - numbers or a display - numbers get you close but the display of where the actual target is on screen is the key to dig for me
I'm with you Sven. Great chart for an Xterra. But the same holds true for any machine that can discriminate gold with a meter that goes from 0-99. The experienced user will always dig the 36 through 80 range in the hope that it's gold. (And 99 if it's a 1 kilo bar! Yes ) But, as well, the experienced user will learn to discriminate between the ears (gray matter) and leave the machine wide open, especially because of ground conditions. With gold, the numbers are solid. The tone is solid. Like nickels, gold is this # or that # but the number doesn't vary, much. And yes, if you do not dig bottle caps, pull tabs, buried deep can tops and a plethora of other really odd and quizzical targets, a...., you ain't getting any gold. (.) And the deeper the gold, the more reflective it is of foil and bits of aluminum trash, like bits of can slaw smaller than a dime. You have to dig a lot of it. But there are those signals you simply can't pass up. (.)

Of course I've never found much, so who am I to talk technical aspects. Chuckle

Ed

(11-14-2016 02:00 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Sven, that is a good chart - next time add in the ferrous numbers because they help when digging for gold. On the Minelab there are different screens - numbers or a display - numbers get you close but the display of where the actual target is on screen is the key to dig for me

Big T!

I don't know what machine you are using. My SE Pro won't find fine gold chains. But, you dig all 9-05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10; all 10-05, 06, 07 & 08; all 11-01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07; AND ALL 12-01, 02, 03 & 04, (Because 12 is 18K and platinum). Try it. It's a bear but it'll make you real happy! Yes

Ed

(11-12-2016 08:59 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]It all comes down to patience, Sven, which you obviously have much more of than I.

I only have the luxury of hunting 2 to 3 times per week, for maybe 4 or 5 hours per hunt. While this might sound like a lot, it really isn't, and the time seems to fly by. So, my modus operandi when hunting the turf is to maximize my time by not digging most low or medium tones (aside from deep nickel signals). This gets me the silver I'm primarily after, but yes, I do lose out on the chance of finding gold.

If I'm on the beach, it's the opposite strategy. I will tend to dig mostly everything above iron, but the low/medium tones obviously take precedence over the high tones, since I'm mostly after the gold.

Believe me, if anyone finds gold when turf hunting, and has the fortitude & patience to dig through thousands of junk items to find it, I tip my hat to them. They deserve it Beer

So for stuff and giggles you should go back and try digging the lower signals, not once, but as a habit. And just go to a park and pick a good area you hit silvers in and mentally mark out a spot and hammer it for those signals. And just keep doing it. You've probably tried this before and you have more experience than I do, but one thing you have over me is an abundance of historical population that I do not. I have to go to certain areas where the likelyhood of finding gold, and silver rings, is prominent. You got it all over in spades Joe! Break the silver discipline. You'll see.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's