Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Well I finally did it - locked my keys in the trunk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I finally did it - locked my keys in the trunk. I took my grand daughter to pre-school and rushed to a local park. She was getting out early so I wanted to just coin shoot and relax. I get there and start getting my gear on then my mind switches to somewhere else and I close the trunk. As soon as it slams I feel the pressure - I try the doors all around but nothing doing. I call roadside assistance and they came fairly quickly, about 30 minutes. I say great at least I won't have to walk back to the school to pick her up and I'll be on time. "Wrong", as Trump said. This guy tries for twenty minutes and says your Honda has extra security and I am not able to open it. Sorry, but you'll have to call a locksmith or Honda for another key. Bunch of crap, I said....
I walk back to school and pick up my granddaughter and get a ride back to my son's house from another person who's child is in her class. I felt dumb but hey - it's the little things that bring us together.
I had to eat crow now and call my wife for the extra key, luckily my son works near her and he brought the key to me after work. Just a little stressful, now I have fixed my broken key ring and my car key is back on the key chain. Glad I wasn't far from home or I would be calling a locksmith and paying the freight for that one.
Tony, sorry for the pain in the ass day you had. Never had that exact thing happen before, as I'm a bit OCD when I'm opening & closing my trunk, as I've almost done what you did, on many an occasion.

So, now when I'm putting anything in the trunk or taking anything out, I make it a rule to place my keys directly on the bumper, so it prevents locking them inside.

The good news is, I drive an old POS car, and only 3 door locks work, one doesn't. If I ever DO lock my keys in the trunk (or car) I can get into the vehicle no problem. And I believe (not certain though) that my rear seats fold down, so I'd even be able to get in the trunk, if need be.

I'm very surprised AAA wasn't able to gain access to your car. Bewildered actually. But the good news is, at least you know your car is safe from getting jacked Yes
Sorry to hear about your day, glad everything ended up ok though.
I had a similar experience, locked my keys in the trunk at home. Was packing and going on vacation. All doors were locked, for idk what reason and that was the only pair I had.
Luckily, I was at home and used a coat hanger for like 10 minutes and I got the door unlocked. I felt cool Chuckle
Welcome to the club Big T! I have done that, and the key in the switch thing, and the lost key thing. I know the feeling of helplessness, and it ain't good. Sorry your day was wasted. Now all my cars have a spare key in one of those little magnetic cases stuck somewhere on the frame. (and one for the house too--I've done that a few times as well).
(11-17-2016 12:59 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the club Big T! I have done that, and the key in the switch thing, and the lost key thing. I know the feeling of helplessness, and it ain't good. Sorry your day was wasted. Now all my cars have a spare key in one of those little magnetic cases stuck somewhere on the frame. (and one for the house too--I've done that a few times as well).

I take the second key in the magnetic case approach myself and I've had to rescue myself a couple of times. The downside is that knowing the spare key is available makes one a little less conscious about locking yourself out to begin with. The bride's car has one of those keyless entry things,,,, I'm not sure if you can lock yourself out or not but they're too expensive to have a spare and not use it.
Several years ago my wife and I were on vacation at the beach (150 miles from home) and we left her purse , my wallet and both cell phones in the car. My keys got put in my tennis shoes which I set next to our towels and cooler. Needless to say when we got done in the water the shoes had gotten knocked over , I combed the sand all around them , no keys. My detector was locked in the trunk. Fortunately the gift shop clerk let me have a coat hanger which eventually got us in.
  It is a rotten feeling to realize you are locked out , I am glad all turned out well.
Don't worry the taste of the crow you ate goes away fairly quickly and then you'll be laughing at yourself.
   Did you get any detecting done while you were waiting on AAA?
Pat
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation. As you know, it could have ben worse. I have almost done a few times and have done it. Fortunately, it was in the driveway and my wife had the spare keys. I lock my car with the key fob now, plus i hang my keys around my neck on a landyard. I feel its better this way, i can keep up with them.
Wow, I guess I am not alone on this crazy thing. Thanks for the reply's folks, nice to be able to speak of these happenings and folks listen too. Cool.

No detector was in trunk with keys. It's a guy thing - you start doing one thing then wham - you decide for whatever reason to do another.....

Road service guy might have been inexperienced a bit. His long metal flexible rod wasn't long enough to reach the floor release next to driver's feet. He was unable to hit the door unlock buttons enough to push the control to open. He said it was a Honda design, who knew?
Enjoy the days ahead - plenty of good weather before the cold sets in here in NJ.
If you can flag down a cop, many will be glad to assist and accept the challenge of unlocking your car.

I always keep a spare car key in my wallet. But, after opening the trunk or locking all the doors, the keys go directly in my pocket, no ifs, ands or butts. You can't lock our cars passengers door unless you do it from outside with the key--safety measure.
Good news came out of this... Your car has extra security!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's